• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hargraverch
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2008

usb to serial

Hi all
    Thought i might try and find out if and when the adapter could be ready and if it will be usb or ethernet.

ron
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

I haven't heard anything but from previous emails I think it is something they are working on

Comment

• ajaxuk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2008

That would make things a lot easier in terms of a wider range of hardware.

Comment

• hargraverch
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2008

Although there is a possability of ethernet to serial, trouble is ive bought a eee box and it has no serial port bah as it has a very low power consumption, and is small.

Comment

• Kevin
          • Jan 2004

I tried a couple of different Ethernet to Serial devices with no success (Lantronix and Digi) as well as three USB adaptors. In the end I had to add a serial card into the PC - which was a shame as it too is a limited expansion type machine - had only one slot available. This meant I couldn't add the voice modem card :-(

K

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

Was stalled, back to working on it ...

Comment

• hargraverch
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2008

Hi Karam is it going to be ethernet or usb, and do you have any idea in respect of time frame of availability. Ive purchased a Eee Box on the basis of it low power usage to find that i am unable to use it. I am holding off updating to the latest major update as i would like to put it straight onto the Eee Box.

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

We're experimenting with both. There are a number of small but nevertheless important details to resolve before a final product becomes available. RS232 may be old technology and sadly virtually extinct in standard spec. PCs, but it provides more direct control of signals and less 'dross in between' to go wrong for an application which needs to run reliably at all times without human intervention. Though our intention is to bring out at least one of these alternative interfaces, I think we may also be heading towards providing a dedicated computing platform solution in future. I'm sorry but I can't give you a time frame at the moment because I know from past experience that until well researched, minor details have a nasty habit of turning into sizeable obstacles. I will update this thread when we have greater confidence.

Comment

• spellinn
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Dec 2007

No more serial

To ressurect and old thread...I'm looking at replacing my Dell server with a low power PC however most now don't contain Serial RS232 ports.

Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor, or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively?

My server uses about 200W, and I'm keen to reduce that to 50W or below.

Cheers

Neil

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by spellinn View Post
                    ...low power PC however most now don't contain Serial RS232 ports.
                    Most of the Mini-ITX boards from Via and Jetway have RS-232 ports and consume around 30W or less

...Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor.
                    No, not from others comments and experience

..., or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively?.
                    Possibly, some rumours and product seen in Cortex would suggest that a USB and Ethernet connection maybe in the works, but who knows

Comment

• jpdw
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Oct 2007

... Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor, or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively? ...
                      As Paul mentions, most of the mini itxs have on-board rs232 - sometimes 9-pin others via pin headers on the board. If this route doesn't work for you (I had problems with one mobo + PSU combination) then in **my** experience I found that a USB device does work -- see this thread. Note -- in the end, I changed PSU & my native serial now works, so my USB experience was only some testing. Or maybe the Idratek guys will let you beta test the official device !
                      Jon

Comment

• chadjo
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Nov 2009

PCU001 and STK003

I have been following this forum for some time now and have decided to take the plunge...

While I was asking Karam a load of silly newbie questions, I enquired about the possibility of USB support and porting Cortex to run under MacOSX.

Having read on here about the PCU001, I was not expecting the response...

'Do you want one?'

Got mine today, as part of the newly created starter kit (with audio) STK003... - same price as the STK002

Just need to set it all up now - new instructions for using the USB connection were included by email.

I am really very impressed by Idratek's technical support (thanks Karam!)

Unfortunately the answer to the second question was still 'no!'...

Chad J.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

great ... so, to ask the obvious question - by any chance, are you in a position to try it with a Mac Mini & Parallels & 'XP ?
                          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2006

or VMWare Fusion?

So the USB interface lives and looks neat, better than the serial interface as it never had screws to attach the connector securely.

As for Idratek support it really is a huge USP and never fails to impress

Comment

• chadjo
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Nov 2009

just learning to walk...

Re: Mac mini - no - not got one yet... Thinking of the Server version next?

Re: Parallels - no - not got it yet - correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that will allow the Mac mini to run both OSX and XP at the same time, and might give sufficient processing power for monitoring Cortex whilst also remaining useful as a Mac?

Re: VMware Fusion - no - not got that either...!

Still learning to walk here guys!

However.....

I am in a position to run Cortex on my Macbook Pro running XP from Bootcamp - that is how I am intending to set up the starter kit this weekend, when I have a bit of time to myself... Also trying to renovate a house and apparently it is not ready for guests over the Christmas period yet!

Chad J.

Comment

Working...
                              X