X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

a second's delay seems quite a lot, & might get a little annoying - wonder if some setting or software / firmware changes could reduce it, 'though presumably it's due to the guesting of the OS & so could affect performance more generally ... (?)

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 28 December 2009, 01:23 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

I've spent a bit of time looking at this today and have come to the conclusion Cortex may not like running under WHS as WHS can be quite busy shuffling things around, indexing, backing-up, etc I'm just building an XP host to see if moving it away from WHS makes any difference.

I'll report back later

Paul

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

I can at least confirm that such a delay is not due to any issue with the PCU interface itself. Aside from what else might be going on with the WHS setup it is also important to setup the various buffer and latency settings for the COM port as instructed. Though with passing USB through to the guest I wonder what else is happening in between. USB already puts lots of baggage between Cortex and the network.

Comment

• Kevin
          • Jan 2004

Although I'm sure WHS gets busy at times and response time can drop especially on lower power hardware - I am running Cortex on WHS (RS232) and my reactionary times are near instant... and you did say it was running OK before.. hopefully it does just need tweaking as Karam said.

K

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Just to expand on my comments WHS is running under VMWare Workstation from a Windows 2008 R2 server. The machine is only a dual-core 1.6GHz atom.

Although Cortex is not a heavy CPU application I'm guessing it needs CPU cycles immediately upon request. I'm quite sure I'm just expecting too much from such a lowly powered machine; it really isn't a bad machine and consumes a reasonable ~45W

I'm in the process of rebuilding a machine from the spare Jetway Nano 1.0GHz motherboard I had when I first started this piece of work. I'm going to use WHS as the native OS and then run Cortex under this to see how things go.

Paul

Comment

Working...
            X