Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: usb to serial

Quote Originally Posted by spellinn View Post
    ... Is it possible to use a USB->Serial adaptor, or there something coming from Idratek that will use USB natively? ...
    As Paul mentions, most of the mini itxs have on-board rs232 - sometimes 9-pin others via pin headers on the board. If this route doesn't work for you (I had problems with one mobo + PSU combination) then in **my** experience I found that a USB device does work -- see this thread. Note -- in the end, I changed PSU & my native serial now works, so my USB experience was only some testing. Or maybe the Idratek guys will let you beta test the official device !
    Jon

Automated Home Jr Member

Default PCU001 and STK003

I have been following this forum for some time now and have decided to take the plunge...

While I was asking Karam a load of silly newbie questions, I enquired about the possibility of USB support and porting Cortex to run under MacOSX.

Having read on here about the PCU001, I was not expecting the response...

'Do you want one?'

Got mine today, as part of the newly created starter kit (with audio) STK003... - same price as the STK002

Just need to set it all up now - new instructions for using the USB connection were included by email.

I am really very impressed by Idratek's technical support (thanks Karam!)

Unfortunately the answer to the second question was still 'no!'...

Chad J.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

great ... so, to ask the obvious question - by any chance, are you in a position to try it with a Mac Mini & Parallels & 'XP ?

or VMWare Fusion?

So the USB interface lives and looks neat, better than the serial interface as it never had screws to attach the connector securely.

As for Idratek support it really is a huge USP and never fails to impress

Automated Home Jr Member

Default just learning to walk...

Re: Mac mini - no - not got one yet... Thinking of the Server version next?

Re: Parallels - no - not got it yet - correct me if I am wrong, but I assume that will allow the Mac mini to run both OSX and XP at the same time, and might give sufficient processing power for monitoring Cortex whilst also remaining useful as a Mac?

Re: VMware Fusion - no - not got that either...!

Still learning to walk here guys!

However.....

I am in a position to run Cortex on my Macbook Pro running XP from Bootcamp - that is how I am intending to set up the starter kit this weekend, when I have a bit of time to myself... Also trying to renovate a house and apparently it is not ready for guests over the Christmas period yet!

Chad J.

Chadjo,

Bootcamp allows you to dual boot, that is the Macbook will either run Windows XP or MacOS but not at the same time, i.e. you boot into one OS OR the other.

Parallels or VMware Fusion are virtualisation products which allow you to run one OS at the same time as another. So in your case you'd run MacOS as the host AND Windows XP as the guest. Because Windows XP is running as a virtual machine the hardware may or may not work in the virtualised OS.

Paul

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Virtualisation....

Paul,

Thanks - I am a frequent bootcamp XP user, albeit grudgingly, and did use Virtual PC a few years ago, so I understand the guest/host concept in your post.

So the question that needs answering is not whether Cortex will work under Bootcamp, but whether under the Parallels or VMware Fusion virtualisation, the hardware is supported well enough for Cortex to run reliably in the background...?

Presumably the likelihood of it working is much higher with the Starter kit than with a fuly fledged whole house multi module setup, due to lower numbers of packets being sent over the IDRANet?

Which is very relevant I suppose because no one wants to use one of their Intel Mac's to run XP in bootcamp 24/7, do they? Kind of defeats the point!

I think my way ahead will be to get the system set up running bootcamp - check it communicates fine via the USB - Cortex certainly works fine under Bootcamped XP whilst not connected, then get a copy of Parallels...or maybe VMware Fusion... Is either vastly superior or is it just personal preference?

Any thoughts? Heading off to wire up some modules now....

Chad

Chadjo,

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence difficult to gauge people's knowledge until you know them well on forums.

I'm a PC user and owe my career to Microsoft so have a slightly different bias as you can imagine. When I first started my career in IT I worked with Macs (that was 7.6 and first generation G4) but haven't touched them for years until a few weeks ago. Now I'm playing again and trying to shift back to a Mac way of thinking to compare.

As for virtualisation I only have experience of VMWare, I can confirm VMWare Workstation 7.0 for PC can pass-through the serial port of the host to the guest and Cortex can use it successfully.

Over to you ;o)

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

Automated Home Jr Member

Paul,

No insult taken at all - Whilst an experienced PC/Mac user, I am a newbie from an HA/Idratek perspective...

I'd be happy just to have the STK connected at all at the moment - Too busy stripping 109 year old lead paint off skirting boards!!

Chad J.