Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie saying hello... and starting to ask questions :-)

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

Smile

Well last night I finally had the first chance to bench test my lovely new kit :-) Cortex fired up a dream and I was soon switching a light on the dimmer pack up and down and lighting the LEDs on the switch.

Now the questions promised..

1) I read the getting started guide to Cortex to get me up and running. Is there a more complete document or do I refer to the help (which is very comprehensive).

2) I didn't see much about Reflex and in particular the capabilities of something like the dimmer pack. I read that you have to program reflex by packets but not what the devices are capable of. Whilst I plan to have cortex running, initially for the drive lights that may not be possible for a while until the cottage re-wiring comes along. Are the reflex capabilities documented anywhere?

3) Are there any training courses available similar to C-Bus. I would probably be happy to pay up to 100 for a days intensive training on Idratek, especially if there were a couple of modules thrown in to keep at the end.

Cheers
    Allan

Quote Originally Posted by ludditeal View Post
    ........ Now the questions promised..
    1) Cortex help
    2) When you visit an object's Reflex menu | define packets there is an option to generate defaults which auto generates some packets for popular actions. Where these don't fit the requirement the command insight editor may have the necessary detail. In some cases (dimmer probably being one) you may jsut have to ask us for specifics and we can probably help and post on forum if considered useful for others. In Cortex 24 we have introduced a tool which autogenerates some basic Reflex functions mainly for lighting control based on the connectivity in the higher level Cortex automation - in a sense trying to relieve people of getting involved at the nitty gritty level. But its only a start.
    3) There aren't as yet, but we're happy to try and answer questions as best we can for individuals.

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

Thanks Karam.

Have only had a little chance to play for the moment due to work but hopefully that will quieten down in a week or two and I can concentrate on having a better look around cortex and play with the reflex options.

Regards
    Allan

Good idea to play with features on the "bench" then it is nice and easy to hit the rest button. Not so easy when the unit is installed in some inconvenient location

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
    Good idea to play with features on the "bench" then it is nice and easy to hit the rest button. Not so easy when the unit is installed in some inconvenient location
    You can reset a remote module via a direct command packet from Cortex (which you could more conveniently package up in a macro so that it can be triggerd via buttons or such). Or you can Reflex program a button on a module to do this on a network without Cortex. Within its autoreflex generation tool Cortex V24 provides support to automatically set up a designated QBI module (or unadvertised as yet dual button version: DBI module) for this purpose - e.g. to allow a fast manually initiated switchover to Reflex rather than wait for watchdog say.

Thanks Karam for the information. Useful additional infomration. I must spend some time looking at the Reflex update in version 24 of Cortex