Newbie saying hello... and starting to ask questions :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ludditeal
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Feb 2004

Must admit that after posting the Screwfix link I read the reviews and they weren't good with quite a few failing very early on!

We need the drive to be quite bright when lit as the elderly in-laws live with us so I think that rules out LE'D's for the moment.

We did have some GU10 LEDs in the porch lights in the old house which used to be on all-night. After 3-4 months they were markedly dimmer from the continous overnight use. These were realatively cheap ones though. I swapped them for CFL's which were a lot better but they were taller in height, fortunately there was plenty of headroom in the void.

Regards
    Allan

Comment

• Karam
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ludditeal View Post

........ What I hope to achieve is...

There will be 5 driveway lights fitted with dimmable CFL bulbs. Initially I plan for these to come on at a fixed starting time but hopefully later move to a light sensor triggered start. I will want them to run at a dimmed level say 25%. There will then be 2 PIR's, 1 at the top and one at the bottom of the drive. When these are triggered the light level for the CFLs should go to 100% for a fixed time period, say 15 mins before dropping back to the base level. For the added compexity twist, at 01:00 in the morning the lights should go off all-together, but retain the ability to be triggered by the PIRs if movement is detected.
      Anyone see any problems with my plans? From my first play with Cortex I am not sure that I can do the light shut off at 01:00 which wouldn't be the end of the world.
      As has been suggested there are often different ways of achieving the end result in Cortex. I can't keep track myself . But one possible concept to consider here is the ability to set the OFF dim level value via some other object such as the Scheduler (FYI: OFF and ON dim levels are usefully abstracted away from actual values in Cortex). The inbuilt light timer and light operating time functions can then be used to control the light ON timing as well as when entire function is operational (so use light timer only operational mode and PIRs can then trigger Start timer). The scheduler can then be used to change the OFF level to 25% at start of operational period and to 0% at 1am. Light level based automation for operational period can be substituted in later.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

wonder what would have happened if the Screwfix unit had failed while connected to a more sophisticated dimmer ... we had Superswitch security & touch-dimmer units in some rooms, years ago, and every time a bulb (tungsten) went we had also to replace a fuse (adding to the cost of the bulb) ... evenutually the units failed, too ... hopefully modern units / Idratek modules will do better than that, but it does seem an added risk to be using cheap bulbs !
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• KirasHome
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2006

Had a similar experience with some GU10 CFLs from Robert Dyas. Tempted by the cheap price (about £5) and bought 4 to replace the bulbs in the kitchen. I don't think any of them lasted more than 3 months (including two replacments after I complained to Robert Dyas). Not a happy bunny. Replaced them with some Megaman Dimmerable CFLs, twice the price, but so far (touch wood) not a single failure and the quality of the light's better. Happy bunny. The lesson? Buying cheap doesn't always save you money.

Jamie

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

A friend of mine says "cheapest is the dearest in the long run".
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• ludditeal
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Feb 2004

Well last night I finally had the first chance to bench test my lovely new kit :-) Cortex fired up a dream and I was soon switching a light on the dimmer pack up and down and lighting the LEDs on the switch.

Now the questions promised..

1) I read the getting started guide to Cortex to get me up and running. Is there a more complete document or do I refer to the help (which is very comprehensive).

2) I didn't see much about Reflex and in particular the capabilities of something like the dimmer pack. I read that you have to program reflex by packets but not what the devices are capable of. Whilst I plan to have cortex running, initially for the drive lights that may not be possible for a while until the cottage re-wiring comes along. Are the reflex capabilities documented anywhere?

3) Are there any training courses available similar to C-Bus. I would probably be happy to pay up to £100 for a days intensive training on Idratek, especially if there were a couple of modules thrown in to keep at the end.

Cheers
              Allan

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ludditeal View Post
                ........ Now the questions promised..
                1) Cortex help
                2) When you visit an object's Reflex menu | define packets there is an option to generate defaults which auto generates some packets for popular actions. Where these don't fit the requirement the command insight editor may have the necessary detail. In some cases (dimmer probably being one) you may jsut have to ask us for specifics and we can probably help and post on forum if considered useful for others. In Cortex 24 we have introduced a tool which autogenerates some basic Reflex functions mainly for lighting control based on the connectivity in the higher level Cortex automation - in a sense trying to relieve people of getting involved at the nitty gritty level. But its only a start.
                3) There aren't as yet, but we're happy to try and answer questions as best we can for individuals.

Comment

• ludditeal
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks Karam.

Have only had a little chance to play for the moment due to work but hopefully that will quieten down in a week or two and I can concentrate on having a better look around cortex and play with the reflex options.

Regards
                  Allan

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

Good idea to play with features on the "bench" then it is nice and easy to hit the rest button. Not so easy when the unit is installed in some inconvenient location

Comment

• Karam
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
                      Good idea to play with features on the "bench" then it is nice and easy to hit the rest button. Not so easy when the unit is installed in some inconvenient location
                      You can reset a remote module via a direct command packet from Cortex (which you could more conveniently package up in a macro so that it can be triggerd via buttons or such). Or you can Reflex program a button on a module to do this on a network without Cortex. Within its autoreflex generation tool Cortex V24 provides support to automatically set up a designated QBI module (or unadvertised as yet dual button version: DBI module) for this purpose - e.g. to allow a fast manually initiated switchover to Reflex rather than wait for watchdog say.

Comment

• Paul_B
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2006

Thanks Karam for the information. Useful additional infomration. I must spend some time looking at the Reflex update in version 24 of Cortex

Comment

Working...
                        X