How many people use Cortex Alarm features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

How many people use Cortex Alarm features?

Just wondering...
    Yes, it's my primary or only alarm system
    0%
    Yes, but I have a conventional alarm system as well
    0%
    No, I am not using it
    0%
    No, but I am thinking about trying it
    0%

The poll is expired.

----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com
  • ajaxuk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2008

I have a conventional alarm, but would like to gradually start using cortex. My Idratek install is still in it's infancy and I don't have enough sensors to replace my current system.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

when we install, later this year, we intend a comprehensive install, including this aspect ...
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

It's not very comprehensive as yet, but I'm getting there. Just need to add my external door sensors and my UPS before I commit fully. I have most of my interior doors now protected and the rooms themselves via the PIRs. I'll be starting on window sensors shortly to take advantage of the boundary breach functionality within Cortex.
        Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

Andrew -

what are you using for door & window sensors - reed switches, presumably, but any particular sort / make, please ??

Some have some sort of anti-tamper arrangement, IIRC, 'though not sure how it works ... and there may be other sorts ...

Plus, where on the door / window are you putting them ... some seem to be best in the jam, others seem to be surface mount ... but either still leaves lots of options ... we've in-mind (but still an open point) to put them low down, since all our infrastructure wiring being in the floors rather than walls !

Chris

Comment

• n07tv
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • May 2004

Dave,

We have cats and the way our house is set up, it wouldn't allow such ... infact the existing alarm is redudant but we keep the outer box there for a deterrent.

I have though, used the alarm systems PIRs for other functions and there are a couple of locations where the cats shouldn't be and I have Cortex set to email / ring should something trigger.

Also, I have used the external door contacts to confirm my partner did get in much earlier than she said and therefore had no excuse whatsoever for dinner not being ready when I get back from work

I would use it if the cats weren't so inquisitive and exploratory.

Neil.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
              Andrew -

what are you using for door & window sensors - reed switches, presumably, but any particular sort / make, please ??
              I am using a combination of two reed switches. For the doors I am using these...

...and windows ones similar but not identical to these...

... the surface mount ones I am using are ones that were lying around and don't come with flying leads.

I will probably eventually replace the surface mount ones on the windows with flush ones if ever the sashes need to come out for refurbishment.

Some have some sort of anti-tamper arrangement, IIRC, 'though not sure how it works ...

these have an extra pair of wires for a tamper loop. all your proximity switches, PIRs etc can be connected in series using the tamper loop which can then be connected to a digital input on an idratek module. If the state of this loop changes from closed to open at any time whether the alarm is armed or not then the alarm will sound.

Plus, where on the door / window are you putting them ... some seem to be best in the jam, others seem to be surface mount ... but either still leaves lots of options ... we've in-mind (but still an open point) to put them low down, since all our infrastructure wiring being in the floors rather than walls !
              For the doors my preferred method is in the jam recessed by about 1-2mm and then back filled with Polyfilla to hide. I use a wood-boring drill bit the same diameter as the proximity switch flange and put the 2mm rebate in then i drill out the middle with a bit the same diameter as the barrel on the proximity switch. As far as height goes it really depends on the cable route. A lot of the time very near the door I have a DRB module or DFP so it tends to be around about the same height as this.

My front door is a little awkward in that it is a double door. I've been forced to use surface mount switches above these which work but are not the best aesthetically. This is probably just me being picky but I like to keep as much out of sight as possible and keeps friends and family guessing as to how things are working.

Also by a stroke of luck I managed to find the original documentation for my Everest double glazed back door that my parents fitted nearly 20 years ago, taped to it is a proprietary flush-mount proximity switch that I am yet to get around to fitting.
              Last edited by Andrew Millne; 16 January 2009, 02:04 AM.
              Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

many thanks ... look good quality, too (great, I now feel confident about where to get them from) ... hadn't thought of recessing them under Polyfilla - good option !

Hmm, tamper or not ... may as well, since ours is new-build ... makes me wonder, too, if it might be worth having wires that break / disconnect in other places, too ?

Comment

Working...
                X