• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcockerell
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jan 2009

Lighting control

I'm thinking about how to organise the controls for the lighting, and how many digital inputs we might need for the switches. Is it feasible to wire several momentary action switches in parallel onto a single digital input, and what are the pros and cons of this approach?

I can see that this would reduce the total number of inputs required, but any saving would need to be balanced against loss of flexibility from using a separate input for each switch - but exactly what extra flexibility does the one switch per input approach give you?

TIA

Martin
  • Viv
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2004

If you have two momentary switches connected to a single input it will work in that either pressed will cause the input to change and trigger the event you have decided to happen on such a press.

The digital input may be assigned to a button object or a digital input object.
    If a button is pressed Cortex make the assumption that someone is in the room where the button was pressed, so it acts like a momentary presence detector.

If you wire your two switches in different rooms then this might cause temporary confusion for the presence logic but should resolve it self soon after.

Viv.

Comment

• mcockerell
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Jan 2009

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm only really thinking of using this for multiple switches in a single room - e.g. switches by door and either side of bed in bedroom, or by various doors (2 internal, 1 external) in living room.

Martin

Comment

Working...
      X