• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johanfpa
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2009

Wireless solution for underfloor heating cabling mistake

Hi all,

Just realised I forgot to pull two cables from one of my underfloor heating manifolds heating controllers to my boiler room.
    One cable would be for boiler control (volt free output) and the other to tell the main pump (in boiler room) to come on (230 V max 6A). In both cases it’s just relays that open and close on the heating controllers so hope it will be possible to use some wireless solution.
    The main reason I would like to go that route is because it would take a lot of work to pull these cables (take down plasterboard already taped) and dealing with two height changes in the building: pulling the cable through those would be a lot more difficult & I would have to remove quite a lot of plasterboard in those areas.
    The distance between both locations is about 50 meters (a U shaped stone barn). Going part of the way with cables (to overcome distance limitations of RF systems if needed) would be easier to achieve.

Can anybody recommend a solution?

Thanks,

Johan
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Johan,

Are the both signals coming from the remote location _to_ the manifold, or is one signal going in each direction?
    Do you have mains power next to the manifold?

Thanks,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• johanfpa
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2009

Tim,

I do have power at each manifold (on a different consumer unit than the boiler room's).
      Secondly the signals would need to go from the manifold controller to the boiler room, one signal would be to control the boiler and the second to start the main UFH pump. It seems out the diagram that it's relays closing and making a circuit when boiler or pump are required.

Greetings & thanks,

Johan

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

I think you can do this with X10. You install a couple of Powerflash modules by the manifold (http://www.letsautomate.com/10258.cfm?); these convert a contact closure to an X10 signal over mains electricity, and install a couple of appliance modules (http://www.letsautomate.com/10001.cfm?) near your boiler. When the manifold contacts change state, an "ON" or "OFF" is sent, received by the "boiler" modules which in turn start the pump, or whatever.

You might also be able to do the same thing with a couple of xAP NetIOMs (http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...AP-Review.html) and wireless access points/routers, or powerline networking adaptors.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Tim's idea of using X10 should work. Though I would be careful using the AD10 DIN mounted appliance modules. They are not as reliable as the micro modules or as robust and any sign of glitches or power surges and they have a habit of dying. This was one of the reason we developed the Din rail adapter for micro modules.
          Another option maybe be to use an EA800 enviro Alert system from Winland.

They do a variety of wireless and wired sensors for it. Such as the multi-function which will accept temperature, water, power and dry contacts. Though it probably wouldn't be that cheap. But looks nice.
          Last edited by toscal; 11 February 2009, 09:35 PM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X