Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Power PCs

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Low Power PCs

Hi All

Have had my Eee Box order cancelled, and am now free to purchase a low power unit to run my cortex system has anyone come across one or is using one that can advise.

thanks

ron

Maybe it will help if we list our Cortex servers and measured power with a plugin meter?

VIA EN-15000 Mini-ITX Mobo and Matrox 70GB HDD = 28W

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi Paul
    Am not really avvie with pcs and am looking to find a low power one, i was told to look at mini it systems, i am able to build em its just finding out whats best and what better way than here.

thanks

ron

My Dell latitude D600 (centrino 1.7G) consumes 19W with screen off, 26W including screen - another advantage is it has battery backup. Still - no expansion for the telephony card I bought ages ago. I am hanging on for an Atom with low power chipset, serial port plus at least 1 PCI ... its been a long wait for something better than the laptop as sadly PC cards with centrino chips have always been very expensive cf VIA mini-itx etc.

JonS
    www.neuralhome.org.uk
    Last edited by JonS; 7th February 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: extra consumption info

For Mini-ITX probably easiest and best to go with VIA themselves or Jetway. Have a look a Linitx or Mini-ITX websites. If you have a single machine then you probably want it to be a bit more powerful and that over-rides the power consumption, consider the EN or SN boards from VIA.

If you just want a dedicated PC for HA then Cortex has very low requirements so you could look at something like the Jetway J7F2 1.2Ghz Eden CN700 Mainboard which is Fanless and consumes 7W plus chipset and HDD means like power consumption around 15W (educated guess rather than my own measurement)

Just to clarify Mini-ITX is a form factor so you can have Mini-ITX motherboards with an Intel Atom or AMD Geode as well as the more normal VIA CPU's.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

power requirement (in both senses) would go up a bit if including a capture card & CCTV in the HA scheme, of course ... as part of presence sensing, as well as for identification & baby-sitting ... we certainly chose our MiniITX board to cope with this ...

I was tempted by the a Jetway board like this last summer (may have been this one). How do these processors compare with a centrino in terms of grunt/Ghz? Is there a SPECint rating for PCs?
    not sure what you mean by single machine, but I'm looking to build a machine for Cortex primarily and low power is key as its running 24-7. In a perfect world it would be power-stepping so that as and when I get around to adding a CCTV camera or two and activate them the same machine will run with a bit more juice and soak up the load. The Centrino seems very good at this sort of thing, but has moved dual core and higher power (juice).
    I've monitored the CPU on my machine and with Cortex its <~10% on my current machine which is great.
    The marginal improvement in juice of the Jetway plus my perception it will be lower grunt, doesn't make the case for me to experiment - still saving for a house full of DFPs :-)
    Thanks
    JonS

What did you go for again Chris ?
    TIA
    JonS

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

a VIA EK10000G & as much memory as it would take + IVC-200G capture card

(took a moment to find it - had to go find what box it's still in - daren't bring it out & put it together 'til we've finished plastering & screeding - too much fine dust ! - and that's waiting on the thermometer coming up from its current miserable levels ... busy bringing up to date & finalising our plumbing & heating & electrical infrastructure design at the moment, big job)

Automated Home Jr Member

hi
    Thanks for the response have being looking at www.mini-itx.com site, and they do a starter bundle using a 1.6ghz atom chip starting from 149 depending on hard drive, any advice welcome as to the suitability to run HA only

ron