• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Doorway proximity detectors

Is anybody using ultrasonic/optical doorway proximity detectors in addition to reed switches for presence detection? If so can anybody recommend any specific detectors they are using?

Thanks
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I've used multiple beam sensors at door ways to detect intruders. This has 2 beams at about 20 cm apart. What it actually does is to transmit the beam across to a sensor this beam is then retransmitted back to another sensor. It works really well and runs on batteries. The batteries last about 2 to 3 years.
    Can't remember the make at the moment, but will see if I can find out for you.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Can't find the manufacturers website of the beam break sensor I was talking about. But here is another site of some that I have used for other jobs. Also one of my clients installed A 2PH-30C himself and said it was quite easy, just needed a multimeter to obtain optimal alignment (can be done without but better with). The ones I have used are the Twin beam 2PH-30C. The one that might be of interest to you is the single beam PH30FA as this is designed to be flush mounted.
      More info here http://www.siimos.com/ground-3-eng.htm

Hopes this helps
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

I have some of the Maxbotix sensors - I intend to mount them diagonally across a door frame ie facing into a room (I have deep door frames) to detect entry exit as wella s direction... Their verbose output is reduced to manageable info via a small PIC based board made by Gerry Duprey. still to try though

The ultrasonic sensors of choice for for nearly 20 years. Over 1,000,000 high quality ultrasonic sensors shipped to over 10,000 designers around the world.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Thanks Guys,

Most of the IR Beam break sensors seem to be a little overkill and obtrusive for my liking. The Maxbotix ultrasonic option looks as though it will be easier to conceal and install.

I like the idea of being able to infer direction of travel as well.

Another thought I had was some kind of capacitive solution as concealed metallic strips would be a nice tidy option but there would be difficulties with direction of travel.

I'll be following your progress on this one closely, thanks for sharing.
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

>concealed metallic strips ...

in which case, maybe good-old switch-mats (switch when walked on, Maplin used to do them, for example) might also be an option ... use more than one, for direction ... etc ?
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
            X