• Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

UI

'thought GBTV #512 on Savant was interesting ... but

seems almost unrelated ...

the podcast talked brave, but how smart, really, was what they are on with - not very, I would guess ! ?

Idratek is definitely smart, but is there something more that could be done with the UI ? And with Mac ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Tricky one form over function. Cortex isn't the prettiest interface in the world but it is very functional. I guess if you want a pretty interface then you are on your own to develop something. Cortex / Idratek certainly gives you the ability to do so with web-server, XML, API interface and links to xAP and xPL. They just haven't done it for you ;o)

I am playing with you a bit as I know what you mean, but with limited resources and funds I'm very happy with the route Cortex has taken. It works very, very well and to be honest if HA is supposed to minimise human intervention does it matter?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

>Cortex ... very functional ...

extremely so, I would say - the essentials are very right !

>pretty interface ...

OSX is not just a pretty face - it's very efficient & very non-distracting - ie: focus is on what's to be done, not how to get it done ...

Anyway, the thing that really caught my imagination in the Savant interview, was the idea of drawing a simple network-diagram of what was to be controlled, and it then sorting out the details ... plus its ability to work with regular human interface devices, including iPhone / 'touch ... and the remote they had which didn't require the user to take his/her eyes off the subject ... in all, just some good ideas & features, which I thought might be worth picking-up on ...

SWMBO said the other day she wanted to get involved with the HA, getting it in-place, set-up & working ... she's not really into computers, but does make good use of her iPhone (for 'calls, text-messaging, e-mailing & surfing, plus a good many reference & utility apps), so I think she'll find Cortex OK, in itself, it being so very rational & consistent & comprehensive !
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 13 February 2009, 01:25 AM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

another demo' of Savant capabilities ... quite capable, but not very smart (in the sense that Idratek is) ... still, they feature some interesting approaches, and they are aiming to become more affordable !

so ... has anyone got anywhere with using their iPhone or iPod with Idratek, I wonder ?

PS: am not advocating Savant - looks pretty dumb to me, and expensive, for what it is - but that's not to say it's entirely without interest - UI-wise, anyway !
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 20 September 2009, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Kevin
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          so ... has anyone got anywhere with using their iPhone or iPod with Idratek, I wonder ?
          Yes - I interface Cortex to my iPhone using Command Fusions' iViewer /xAP (and also another HA apps iTouch frontend). iViewer is relatively expensive however :-(

K

Comment

• Paul_B
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2006

Lets just hope the guys at Idratek have something on their roadmap. BTW have you noticed Cortex hasn't been updated in a while, maybe an update is due soon?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              Yes - I interface Cortex to my iPhone using Command Fusions' iViewer /xAP (and also another HA apps iTouch frontend). iViewer is relatively expensive however :-(

K

noticed this, just now :

might offer another option !?

Chris
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 12 October 2009, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X