• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonix
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • May 2006

Recommendations for Home alarm

Hi,

After a recent attempted break in my house, i've decided to install intruder alarm. But there seem to be manyoptions and it's all a bit confusing... I was wondering if anyone's got any advice on which alarm to buy...

Th one's i've been looking at are:

Yale Premium alarm (as recommended by a police officer).

AlertMe.com: Seems quite good, but no external siren or HA features.

The Marmitek TotalGuard

Visonic Powermax.

Any advice/experience of the above systems is apprceiated.

Thanks.

snx
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Marmitek TotalGuard - Its quite good on the Home automation features but has no external siren unless you do it via some sort of X10 control. We normally install these (we actually install a slightly different version), as a home automation controller which has basic security features rather than as a stand alone security system.

The Marmitek ProGuard800 is better, as not only does it have HA features, it can have an internal GSM modem as an option. Like the total guard it already comes with a built in telephone dialler, and X10 interface.

Visonic Powermax. The Plus is very good as a security system. It has very basic HA functions but unlike the Marmitek options you will also need the XM10 X10 interface if you want the Home automation features. Has a built in telephone dialler, and can be expanded with an external GSM box and they also do an external adapter so you can talk to the alarm via the internet. This box also allows the connection of upto 4 IP cameras.
    The Pro is slightly better and can use proximity key fobs to turn the alarm on and off. The GSM and internet options are internal cards. They both use the same range of sensors. And like the Plus will still need and XM10 X10 interface. The PC interface for either the PLus or the Pro is worth getting as it makes setting the unit up much easier, especially the home automation side of things.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Another one to think about may be the Infinite system
      Quicksafe Security is a UK Supplier of lone worker alarms, nurse call systems, SIM cards and man down alarm devices. Our M2M SIMs and UK roaming SIM cards are used in GSM alarm systems , lift emergency phones and GSM diallers. We are a NHS Trust supplier of wireless nurse call systems for hospitals and care homes.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

interesting, we seem to be spoilt for choice !

has anyone found / heard-of interference issues with the wireless ones, mixing with PC Wi-Fi networks, for example ?

also, is there any experience or grapevine knowledge of how well Alertme system works in practice - the Zigbee approach sounds to be a good one, much better than X10, for example, and they seem to be expanding its capabilities in interesting directions !
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
          interesting, we seem to be spoilt for choice !

has anyone found / heard-of interference issues with the wireless ones, mixing with PC Wi-Fi networks, for example ?

also, is there any experience or grapevine knowledge of how well Alertme system works in practice - the Zigbee approach sounds to be a good one, much better than X10, for example, and they seem to be expanding its capabilities in interesting directions !
          Wireless alarms are much better than they used to be.
          I have many clients with wireless alarms and wifi connections etc. and none have reported any problems with interference.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pn125
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2008

Hi Sonix,
            If you have decided to go the wireless route then I have installed a number of Infinite units - they have a large choice of 'accessories' and have been very reliable so far. They operate on 868Mhz and I have had no interference problems so far. I have an Infinite unit at home with N1 encrypted wireless router and Sonos and they work quite happily with each other.
            Regards,
            Paul.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

The Infinite alarm also has an X10 interface card, if you want to use this alarm for basic home automation as well. I think they also do a GSM card as well. Though looking at prices in Spain over 400 euros for a GSM card is a little steep. The one for the Marmitek 800 system is just under 300 euros.
              The Powermax plus and pro also use the 868Mhz frequency.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pgiblin
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2007

I've got the Marmitek SC9000.
                Installation is easy. It hasn't been triggered by an intrusion but I've set it off a few times by forgetting to switch it off when I come in.
                One thing to watch out for is that it acts a bit weird when a sensor battery gets low.
                Another deterrent to consider is Smartwater. Our local police were handing out kits for free last year so I've marked everything and put their stickers on doors, windows etc.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

see SmartWater stickers & notices around more & more ... on buildings, on vans, etc ... it's very tempting to use it - wonder if having a spray device activated by a smart HA system, or even by something as simple as a PIR sensor would be effective / affordable / practical ?

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

wonder if having a spray device activated by a smart HA system, or even by something as simple as a PIR sensor would be effective / affordable / practical ?
                    You mean something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222506 .
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

almost - it would need to be less profligate with the water, and connectable to the HA system, for smarter activation !!

Comment

• Amyas
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2009

Hi Chris, thanks for your interest! I work on ZigBee at Alertme, so I just wanted to respond about that. It's great you think ZigBee is a good approach, because we totally agree.

Back when we started in 2006 everyone was very down on ZigBee because it was first mooted in 2001 and nothing seemed to have happened in terms of products. What did happen behind the scenes though was that several big semiconductor manufacturers like TI and Freescale got behind it and put a lot of work into it. Lots of application developers also got involved and developed the standard through a couple of releases to the ZigBee 2007 version, which is finally something everyone can use.

ZigBee is now likely to get in to many people's homes as part of smart metering rollouts, which for a lot of applications is an important part of home automation and management, and which Alertme is definitely going to interface with. Plus, with all that existing infrastructure rolled out 'for free', we expect many more ZigBee products to appear to take advantage of it.

Right now we're working with some very big consumer companies in the ZigBee Alliance to enhance and use ZigBee's home automation profile and make it interoperable with smart meters.

Hope that's of some interest,

Amyas

Comment

• Iain Traynor
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Mar 2009

X10 wireless alarm system with GSM and ethernet options.

Check out www.homesecurealarms.co.uk They are a local installer in Northern Ireland but will sell nationwide.

Comment

Working...
                          X