• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yeosport
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2008

strange noise from central heating

Hi there,

Ever since we moved into this property we have heard a odd noise coming from the heating system or associated pipes, it seems to be most prominent from the cupboard where the boiler is situated, i can't pinpoint what causes it, but it seems to sound a little like a wave or a slightly open ball**** sound, and seems to pulse intermittently, sometime occasionally,other times more regular. Happens with taps on or off and heating/boiler on and off.
    Any ideas anyone please, it's driving us mad

we run a combi boiler system with ideal issar boiler and normal thermostatic radiators, nothing fancy

Richard
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Sounds to me like either air locks in the central heating system, or if its an older house, it can be bits of metal from the pipes/system getting into the pump. the intermitant sound will be as the air or bits are pushed around the system.

If its air, its fairly easy to sort out. There should be a pipe somewhere in the cupboard that does not go anywhere - normally points upwards. It will just end with a sealed end, or a dome/buddble shaped thing. The end is used to release the trapped air. If its a pipe, it will either have a screw in the air or a bolt - use a screwdriver or pliers to open up the end and air will leak out followwed by a dribble of water - shut it off when the water appears. For the bubble stop ends, its easier. There should be either a cap which you undo (do up when the water appears) or a button you press to release the air.

The air in the system will only escape to this pipe. And because the pipe can only hold so much air, you may need to do this once a day, for 5 or 6 days before all the air escapes and the noise goes.

If its not air, but bits in the system, this is more of a major issue. you need to get a plumber in to confirm its bits trapped in the pump - and if it is, you have two choices - put up with the noise or have the system flushed (lots of mess and cost).
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• yeosport
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2008

odd noises

Hi jaffab,

My boiler is in the bedroom up stairs and i can see the pipe you are talking about, which runs up into the loft. I looked at this pipe the other day and did wonder why it was'nt connected to anything. Anyway, do i bleed it when the system is on and running or do i turn it off completely and then bleed?

cheers

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by yeosport View Post
        Hi jaffab,

My boiler is in the bedroom up stairs and i can see the pipe you are talking about, which runs up into the loft. I looked at this pipe the other day and did wonder why it was'nt connected to anything. Anyway, do i bleed it when the system is on and running or do i turn it off completely and then bleed?

cheers
        My money would be on air trapped in the system. My CH makes a whooshing noise sometimes, particularly in the landing radiator...

It shouldn't really matter, but you might find it easier to bleed air out with the system off. If the pump is running you have to work quicker as the air would be pushed out faster by the pump, if the system is off you just have the latent pressure in the system to deal with. As long as you don't open the bleed valve too far, and have a cloth to catch the drips it *shouldn't* be too disasterous...

Note that you might have to top up the pressure in the system after venting air (i.e. via the filling loop).

If you don't get any air out, it may be particulates as jaffab suggests. These can be a pain to get out, but there is a thing called "Magnaclean" see: http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co....nal-p-393.html
        You can also download a brochure form that link. It's basically a big magnet that sits in the CH piping and attracts all the crud that flakes off from radiators etc. You then withdraw the magnet, clean it and put it back in to collect more. They are DIY-able or you can call in a plumber

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
        X