• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrD
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2009

CM12 Stops Responding

Hi Everyone.

I've recently installed some x10 modules (AM/LM) and I've been having problems.

I have no idea why or how to fix it but I find that after a while, either the CM12 module or something on my PC stops responding.

I can quite happily send a few command to the other modules, set events and schedules which work fine for a while, then i get error messages like:
    "X10 Off Command sent but CM12 not enabled. Ignoring this command".

Seems like only way to resolve this is to reboot the PC.

Any ideas why this happens and how I can prevent it please?
    Thanks very much

MrD
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

This is quite a well known, and documented bug or is it a feature. Anyway remove the CM 12 from the mains remove the batteries and wait about 30 minutes. If you don't need the batteries, don't put them back. They are only needed for the backup of the clock in the unit. Plug it back in and reconnect to the PC. Are you running it with the serial cable of the USB cable.
    The reason they lock up is actually unknown. But has been tracked to either one of the following occurring or a combination of:
    1: Too many commands being sent out.
    2. Too many commands being received.
    3. Sending of the older extended commands via another controller, but the command gets corrupted so only partial data is received at the CM unit . This one is usually cleared by sending an X10 command via the other controller.
    4. Cable is disconnected from the PC but not from the CM12.
    5. Another one is caused by brownouts, this causes the RS232 coms to hang. This one can only be cleared by removing the batteries (as mentioned above).
    6. If you have a macro running at the same time as another command is being sent out. The CM unit normally gives higher priority to running the macro than the sending out commands from the PC. Normally it just ignores the PC command but if the macro is started and then say during a delay a PC command is sent and then the rest of the macro now sends out command, it can cause lock ups. Basically its a more complex version of point 1.
    7. Sending out a command from one controller when the Cm unit is trying to send out at the same time.

I used to use Homeseer and a CM11 (same as a CM12) and this used to lock up regularly once I removed the batteries. Didn't put them back in as Homeseer took care of the time. It never locked up again.
    Last edited by toscal; 1 March 2009, 09:48 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MrD
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2009

Hey..

Thank you so much for your reply!
      Has cleared quite a lot of stress up..

Quite frustrating that if its such a well known problem that they haven't been able to track it down yet.

I know for sure that there is only ONE CM11 (sorry my mistake as previously stated i had a CM12) in my house.
      There "may" be another CM module within this building but having seen the majority of the people that live here, I highly doubt any of them would know what X10 was never mind a CM module..

Seems like just one of the "quirks" of X10 then as none of the other things you suggested would fit.

Im using the USB cable to connect to the CM11. As far as I'm aware, the AM/LM modules aren't capable of returning status information.

I've tried HomeSeer, ActiveHome (but that gave me plenty other headaches so stopped using it). So far Harmony seems to be working the best although there are parts of the program which dont seem to be working and cant figure it out..

Something I've been wondering though.. what use is the internal clock of the CM11? Does that mean that once you create an event or macro it uploads it to the CM module so you dont actually need the PC to be switched on in order for it to work?

Thanks again for your help
      MrD

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

As you say the internal clock is for running the CM11 in stand alone mode. So you can have a macro running at a specific time or 30 mins after sunset etc. And you need the batteries to keep the clock running during power cuts or if you unplug the unit from the mains. I have found that the internal clock looses after about a month more than 10 minutes. So its worth re-syncing the clock once a month if you plan to run on just the CM11.
        Also if you do suspect some else is using X10 then its worth getting an X10 filter for the house. An FD10 is the thing to get. This goes into your fuse box. If you are unsure of how to wire it up then either post a message here and or consult an electrician.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• raven
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2007

You may find the problem is the usb block (The little block half way up the lead.) that converts the usb lead to rs232. I had a similar problem with mine. To confirm unplug the usb lead from the computer. The block gets its power from the usb not the mains and this forces it to reset. If this does not clear it then it is not the same problem. If it does then when it locks up again try unpluging the CM12 and power back on. If the problem is not cleared then would verify it is the usb block or a least a problem between this and the usb/rs232 driver. I wrote to the supplier and they confirmed that there was known issues with the usb lead and to use the serial connection.

If it is the usb block then scrap it and use the serial lead. I never had one problem using the serial interface.

I've now switched to a PC BUS controller (had to write my own software) and use a gateway for few X10 devices I have left. Even this locks up every now and again.

Comment

• MrD
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2009

ah ok.
            thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X