Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does it cost?

Automated Home Lurker

Default How much does it cost?

I intend to selfbuild a new house next year and would like it to have some automation in the lighting and security area. I have an interested in home automation and have dabbled with X10, but X10 looks dated compared to c-bus.

Everyone has a budget, so how much is this going to cost? I downloaded the training manual from the CBus Shop for a closer view. Near the end of the manual is an Advanced Exercise which asks you to 'do a complete component count and costing' using a plan supplied. Unfortunately there was no plan in the download so I deceided to do a quick costing using my current house as a model and just on the lighting. I counted 12 wall light switches and 6 wall light dimmers.

INPUTS
    12 E series switch @ 2.35 28.20
    12 wallplates 11.12
    3 2 gang E200 switch @ 66.27 198.81

OUTPUTS
    8 Channel dimmer module 441.82
    12 Channel relay module 524.67

OTHER
    PC Interface 310.66
    Power supply 248.52
    36 module distibution unit 91.48

TOTAL £1855.28

I have made no attempt to check the module power supply requirements and I wasn't sure about the on/off switches and dimmer switch hardware. In my new house I will be making a greater use of dimmers and the security aspect will require PIRs.

Have I got it about right or not?

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: How much does it cost?

Howdi,
    Buy your dimmer and relay with the power supplies inclusive, ie;
    L5512RVF
    L5508D1A
    That will give you heaps of power for your network with some scope for future expansion.
    Cheers
    Ross.

Think you are missing some Bus Couplers to go with the cheap switches...

http://www.cbus-shop.com/product_inf...products_id=38

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi,
    I do not know if you have started or finished your project.
    If you email me I will talk you through the process and pricing structure for C-Bus.
    Regards
    Martin

Automated Home Lurker

Cost is a topic that also interests me !

We run a small development company and are currently having a new 4 bedroom house first fixed and would like to incorporate a limited amount of technology in it - probably best suited to X10.

But we already have planning and building regs. permission for a much more interesting 3000sq ft ultra modern house to be built on the Devon Cliff tops overlooking the sea.

As we are building this house for ourselves, we would like to incorporate a much more elaborate system which might probably be better suited to C-Bus, although overall cost is certainly an issue.

This house will have lots of glass facing south and heat control will be an issue so we will be fitting electric window shutters and we plan to use a central PC server to link control of these to the air-conditioning and underfloor heating. as the house will be unoccupied for periods, security and remote control of temperature and lighting would also be desirable.

Although there will be a home cinema with built in speakers etc, we don't need audio in every room. There will be two separate sky systems as free view is not available in the area.

As there are no time constraints I intend to install the systems myself, working in tandem with our normal electricians who, fortunately have a lot of patience !

We are developing the spec for the house right now and I would very much like to discuss the options with the members here who obviously have much more knowledge and not least, the invaluable practical experience of actually installing these systems.

In the first instance, of course, we need to make a definite decision on which system to install. It looks like X10 could achieve everything required but I can't help feeling that in the long term C-Bus would be the better option.

But just how much of a cost penalty would there be and would the extra expenditure be worthwhile ?
    Chris Sheldrake

Automated Home Jr Member

You cannot compare Cbus with X10. Bit like apples and bananas.

Go with Cbus, you will not regret it in the short and especially the long term.

Automated Home Lurker

I would also agree that C-Bus has the long term benefits which will enable you to acheive exactly what you are looking for as well as being able to keep the the house upto date with little disruption via a telephone interface which enables updates.

I can also give you support in exactly what you will require and pricing please email.

Regards
    Martin

Automated Home Lurker

Default Whats involved

Hi what is involved with C-bus wiring.
    IE take one existing ceiling light and one wall switch.
    What would have to be done to wire it into a C-bus module and what c-bus bits would you need.
    Thanks
    Mark

Have a look for the wiring diagram in the "Getting Started" section here...

http://tinyurl.com/7v6fl

Your requirement of a switch would easily be accommodated by extending the pink cable to a switch.

M.

Automated Home Jr Member

Or consider wireless.

It has limitations however and will not suit every rewire/refit installation. It is ideal for areas where you just can’t get into the existing installation to re-hash wiring. There are limitations with distance between units and the number of units per network, but worth a look never the less. Good luck.

Cheers
    Ross.