• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrichmond007
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2009

Multiple Switched Lighting and x10

All,

I hope I can canvas some advice from some people that are more experienced with the x10 systems than I am. I am able to wire up things but am still getting to grips with exactly how the lighting switches are wired.

My particular situation is this;

I have two rooms, each with two seperate lighting circuits in them i.e. I can switch wall lights on with one switch and a ceiling light with another switch. Some of these switches are two way and the switch configuration is as follows,

1) dual switch for lounge wall lights and stairwell
    2) dual switch for dining room lights (1 for wall lights and 1 for ceiling rose)
    3) 3-switch unit for dining room wall lights, lounge wall lights and lounge ceiling light.

What I would like to know is this,

Question 1) how is the best way to wire this configuration up for x10 dimmer operation, I have no neutrals! (there are some wires blanked off but I am not sure if they are neutrals or not!) and what modules do I need in order to keep the rocker gang switches I already have?

Question 2) can I simply parallel up the room circuits i.e. wall and ceiling lights on the same switch to reduce the amount of x10 units required and indeed switches?

The switches seem to be wired in such a way that the bulb live and switched live are from the dual switch units not the 3 way one.

Any help appreciated as I am having trouble getting the old brain hooked into this!

Finally, are there cheaper x10 modules using exisiting rocker switchers that do not dim?

Cheers,

Martin.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The biggest problem is the neutral and the fact you want to keep your existing switches. As this limits your choice of where to buy.
    It is possible but like many things its not straight forward. You need to make sure that you have normal bulbs (incandescants) or the mains halogen type (I know the G9 and GU10 halogen bulbs work). If you have any other type such as CFLs or low voltage type these may not work at all. The CFLs will definitely not work if you want dimming. Most X10 lighting modules require a minimum load to work properly, which is one of the reasons the CFLs won't work.
    All is not lost as there are modules on the market that can be dimmed and do not require a neutral connection at the module. Without a neutral and using normal switches the only company is here http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=72 .
    They also do a 2 load module so you can operate 2 different lights from the same module ideal if you need to reduce the number of modules used. http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=70
    These modules will only switch the lights on or off via the switch if you require dimming then you have to do this via an X10 controller. Such as this one http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=59 plus you will need something like this to program the modules.
    Last edited by toscal; 9 March 2009, 03:44 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrichmond007
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2009

Thanks toscal for the reply.

I understand what you are saying and would be ok with buying those modules. I still have a question about how many of them would I need and how to wire them up.

If I use the one output modules would that mean one module per light circuit and I can leave all the two switch as they are? Does the module just wire into one of the switch circuits?

Cheers,

Martin

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The 2 load module has connections for 2 switches.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrichmond007
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2009

Hmmmm. I am still having problems. i have just received two of the micor units as suggested in this thread but I cannot get them to work. I think it is due to my lighting circuit setup here.

I have now investigated further and it seems that I have a live and nuetral ring ringing around all the wall lights in the room and through the switches. It appears that live (red) is running through the com terminal on each switch and the blacks are on the switches L1 and L2. This is further complicated by two way switches.

I have two black wires that have been markes with white tape in one switch and two black wires with no tape in the other.

Does any one have an idea on how to wire up the units above (http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=72) with two switching and what exactly the wiring for two wall lighting should be so i can compare what i have!

Cheers,

Martin.

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

At the switches one wire will be live and the other will be switched live, so probably no neutral at the switch.
            Some photos may be of help.
            Also have a look here http://x10-hk.com/store/articles.php...0b09f472ba6baa

Also how are you programming the modules with their house code and unit number.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrichmond007
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by mrichmond007 View Post
              Hmmmm. I am still having problems. i have just received two of the micor units as suggested in this thread but I cannot get them to work. I think it is due to my lighting circuit setup here.

I have now investigated further and it seems that I have a live and nuetral ring ringing around all the wall lights in the room and through the switches. It appears that live (red) is running through the com terminal on each switch and the blacks are on the switches L1 and L2. This is further complicated by two way switches.

I have two black wires that have been markes with white tape in one switch and two black wires with no tape in the other.

Does any one have an idea on how to wire up the units above (http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=72) with two switching and what exactly the wiring for two wall lighting should be so i can compare what i have!

Cheers,

Martin.
              I have now installed one of these modules in my lounge lighting. It works ok when i use a stand alone X10 controller but i cannot control it either from ActiveHome or from Housebot. Are these modules compatable with these two packages? it works fine by using the switch and the dedicated controller,

Hmm frustrating,

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

martin

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Try moving the X10 PC interface to another socket. Do you have the Cm11 or Cm12 or Cm15. Also what unit and house code have you got the module set to.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• mrichmond007
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2009

I have a CM15Pro but I am using an RFXCOM transmitter to talk to it as it is not compatible with any software other than the ActiveHome Suite.

I can switch everything else on and off ok it is just this one module, that is the puzzling thing, and it comes on in that one situation.

Cheers,

Martin

Comment

• mrichmond007
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Mar 2009

SOLVED

I changed the address. It seems that it was not happy being close to another device in the address matrix.

I love the X10 scene!

Cheers for everyones help so far. Hopefully one day i will be able to supply advice instead of take it!

Cheers,

Martin.

Comment

Working...
                    X