• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pn125
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2008

New lighting X10 project

All,
    My lounge is being 'revamped' and I intend to install an x10 system - but while being a qualified electrician i'm an x10 virgin ! so here are my questions :-

The x10 will be mains bourne - not RF
    I want each light to have it's own address (150w GU10) max per light + dimmable.

1. What switches should I use and what cables should come down to the switch ?
    2. Should I use inline modules in the ceiling void for each light. Some units have switch selectors for address , others are 'programmed' does it matter ?
    3. I want to use a Harmony 1000 to control the lighting, how do I get the RF X10 commands from the harmony onto the mains ? Also would this be 2 way ?
    i.e if an x10 switch puts a light on - will the harmony unit display be updated to reflect this change?
    4. I want to also put my garden lighting on this system ( will be din-mounted on a separate consumer unit. What modules would you suggest ?

Thankyou for your patience !
    Regards, Paul.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Each light can have its own address, you have 256 addresses to play with
    1. If you just want on and off then normal light switches will do and use appliance modules. If you want dimming then its better to use momentary switches and lighting modules (ok some lighting modules can use normal switches but dimming is then controlled via a controller only). I like the ability to be able to dim locally as well. Wiring. I think the best way to do is to wire up like you would for a normal switch but include a neutral wire. I can send you a diagram if you want.
    2. I would use micro modules. Very reliable and can be installed behind your switch.
    3. The Harmony I believe doesn't transmit X10 RF. So what you need is a
    IR7243 IR/RF Mini Controller. Then set up the harmony for X10, if its the same as for the 895 then its all in their database. Once set up, I think you need to teach the IR7243. Not too sure as I have done it a slightly different way. What I have done Is use my X10 Homevision controller (www.csi3.com) taught it to respond to certain IR commands from the remote and send out X10 commands. I used the remote extender that came with my harmony remote for this as Homevision is in a different location to the TV etc. And no it will not be 2 way.
    There are 2 way IR/RF remotes we are testing one at the moment. But its a bit limited with what it can do. But for an early beta unit its not bad.
    4. I would forget the Din mounted modules we have had some reliability issues with them. Just use the micro modules they seem to be a bit more robust. In an install we did last year we installed 6 din modules, 6 months later we changed them out as all had failed. None of the 7 micro modules had failed. See this post about a din rail to micro module adapter. http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ead.php?t=2090

Lastly I would also fit an X10 filter in the consumer unit. Its worth while as it makes the system more reliable by filtering out noise around the 120kHz frequency (X10 uses pulses based on a frequency of 120kHz)

IF you need any more help let us know or PM me with your email address.
    Last edited by toscal; 10 March 2009, 03:48 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X