• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcmiguel
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2008

Bathroom light switch

I was wondering about the UK regulations and a 0V light switch inside a bathroom Zone 3. The switch would control a QRI (2 relays for mirror light and ceiling light). Is there any problem with that approach?
    Last edited by jcmiguel; 19 March 2009, 06:24 PM.
  • pdwarriner
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

I assume the 0V switch is on one of the digital inputs? If the QRI is mounted outside I can't see any problem.

Regards,
    Peter.

Comment

• jcmiguel
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2008

Bathroom light switch

Yes, it is the digital input. Actually 2 inputs, one for each lamp. The QRI is far away from the bathroom (loft). Thanks a lot for the help.

Comment

• Andrew Millne
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by pdwarriner View Post
        If the QRI is mounted outside I can't see any problem.
        Unless it rains
        Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

curious how best to wire the two digital switches in this situation ... use a button module & so Cat-5e, or some push-button switches from (eg) Maplin wired back to the module in the loft using Cat-5e or bell-wire or ... ?
          Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• JonS
            Automated Home Guru
            • Dec 2007

You could of course use a QBI, or DFP or similar. In my design I'll be using something like a DFP or IR Receiver + QBI so I also have control over audio in the bathroom (relayed to player / amp in bedroom) plus 2 light channels one swiched and one dimmed via QLD.
            If havinng dimmed lights is a posibility remember when you terminate at the QRI to leave enough slack in the cable to allow you to re terminate on an adjacent device in the future.
            2p
            JonS

Comment

• jcmiguel
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2008

Switches

After some trials the public consensus (read my wife!) had voted for the most practical system available....
              A boring 2 gang white grid plate with 2 one way switch connected to the QRI as 2 digital inputs and the logic following digital state. I had to remove the retractive swiches as they didn't look "normal" or "easy to use".
              PS: I used 2 pair phone cables for that as they are cheap

Comment

• jcmiguel
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2008

Not so boring if I find the right stuff

I was looking arround and came up with a challenge. There are some proximity sensing devices that you can put behind the tiles and thus switch light. However, they use the 230V and I want to use Idratek! So it is DIY time... I am looking for ideas from the electronic parties on this forum. Capacitance? Can I use power from the QRI? Suggestions are appreciated. The goal is a proximity sensor that can be placed behind a 5 mm tile and can provide info for Cortex/Reflex.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

You mean something like this http://www.letsautomate.com/10690.cfm?
                  Instead of operating a light you could always use it to switch a relay.
                  Relay from here would do the trick.

Or I guess if you have a Maplin store nearby then they may have something suitable.
                  IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jcmiguel
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2008

Relay

Yes, that is what I saw as well as this but they all need to connect into a power supply. I am also looking at a DIY with a QT100 connected to an idratek module. The IC needs 5v and the question that remains to be answered is if sensitivity will be enough to get through the tile. I will post here but still open to suggestions

Comment

• pdwarriner
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Nov 2008

Carlos,

As Karam mentioned we did play around with one a while back. I'll get it set up again and see what kind of response we get ... if I remember the range was quite good, the response time was a bit too slow we felt though.

Regards,
                      Peter.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Dec 2007

if it's a challenge that's the thing, after the public / SWMBO put the dampers on the light-switch side of things, how about tying-in bathroom scales into the HA ... perhaps (ultimately) with voice read-outs & trend graphs on a DFP display, by individual ... ? !

Comment

• toscal
                          • Oct 2005

On the Sensor UK site they show you how to mount a sensor switch behind a tile. So I guess the sensitivity is ok.
                          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Dec 2007

toscal's link was interesting, and led me to :

and

have to say, I like the idea of the glass plate pivoting over four switches ...

not used one, though, so am cautious ...

Comment

• toscal
                              • Oct 2005

The company that makes then now does normal switches as well as those PLCbus ones.
                              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X