• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

IR Module Positioning

Can anybody using the IR modules please comment on positioning? It is not practical for me to install an IR module or a DFP facing directly at my AV equipment so I am looking at ceiling mounting one. What sort of range and angle will the Tx deal with?
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • pdwarriner
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

Andrew,

I find the transmission is good ... I have a DFP which again can't be line of sight to my equipment. I had a choice of two walls to attach so I had it on a long cable and tried it in various locations.

The results for tranmission were very good and I suspect there was some 'bouncing' around going on, maybe the neutral wall colour helped a little. On the reception, there are a couple of times I have to move the remote around to get it to respond, but that is the same with a lot of my TV and DVD stuff anyway.

Regards,
    Peter.

Comment

• Gumby
      • May 2004

Also don't forget that the IR module has extra connectors to allow external IR transmitter LEDs, so you could site a secondary IR module behind your equipment and extend the transmitter, a bit like the IR "eye" used for things like the SlingBox. Ideal if you have your kit in a cupboard ...
      ----------------------
      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

And if you have structured CAT-5 to behind your TV (if not, why not ) you can use this and then patch into your Idranet. Another good reason for structured cabling...
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Andrew Millne
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
          And if you have structured CAT-5 to behind your TV (if not, why not ) you can use this and then patch into your Idranet. Another good reason for structured cabling...
          Thanks now why didn't I think of that yep just finished connecting 4 cat 5 runs back to patch panel in loft.
          Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

Working...
          X