What would be the best way to monitor electric usage over 50 circuits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

If all loads were constant then it would be quite easy. If multiple loads vary then it gets quite a bit more interesting.

Given talk about sampling (which introduces errors) ... what is the actual goal of monitoring 50+ devices?
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

not sure ... but 550GBP per quarter looks like something worth having a go at ... and 550 / .0955 = 5750kWhr per quarter = 23000kWhr per annum = eight-times what we're using ... meaning we don't have to be too precise or accurate !
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 21 March 2009, 07:34 PM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Came across this site http://www.stephenpwales.co.uk/Produ...ase/sprail.htm and at just under 29 pounds including vat and delivery seems a good price for the CRN_PRO1TE has a pulsed output as well.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Nice find that looks a really nice unit at a sensible price. The 45 Amp rating gives it a big plus.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

LCD rather than electromechanical seems good, too ... does it have pulse-output - couldn't make it out ?

Noticed this, too :

Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 22 March 2009, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Paul_B
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2006

I've dropped a message to the site owner for more info on pulse frequency and length of the CRN_PRO1TE. Additionally I've asked about bulk discounts. We'll see what response I get

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

other devices meeting the SO standard - DIN43864 IIUC - seem to give 1 pulse per 10kWhr ...

Comment

• Gumby
                  • May 2004

CRN_PRO1TE also available from http://jwinstruments.co.uk/din_rail.htm although unfortunately their datasheet link doesn't work.

Awaiting a quote on these.

Have found the datasheet here: http://www.procuro.co.uk/Docs/PRO1TE%2045A%20Meter.pdf

It's 2000 imp/kWHr (this seems quite common).

I've asked for a quote from Procuro as well.
                  ----------------------
                  www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

that datasheet is a bit odd - paragraph at bottom of sheet 1 refers to "consumed electricity is displayed on a newly developed 6+1impulse step type register" and the drawing etc on sheet 2 is actually for an ADM1TE !!

Comment

• Gumby
                      • May 2004

As I survey the various datasheets I find a lot of cut and pasting confusion going on. So far I have found 7 different product IDs for what is probably ADM1TE.

I have the suspicion that quite a few of these are rebadged Inepro (aka DMMetering) devices, but even they are not consistent in their range and naming of their products - ADM1TE, ADM1TE-s, ADM1TE-u, ADM1D, ADM1LCD, DRM100, DRM100s ...

Either that or there's a lot of counterfeiting and/or product copying going on.
                      ----------------------
                      www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Collectors
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Mar 2009

Hi guys, there’s been some great suggestions on getting around this idea & have also spoken with Plug wise about the possibility of a unit that works the same in principle as there plugs but with the facility of monitoring heavier loads like pumps/ovens/hobs/ & so on. (Waiting to hear from them). I looked at these guys a wile back & dismissed them as i thought they where just for monitoring & thought it was a bit expensive for just this facility. But i didn’t realise they also can be switched & timed if needed. They are also bring out a UK version of their plugs towards the end of the year.
                        It will be in the region of £17/1800.00 for a whole system but will save a lot on the cabling needed for monitoring & remote switching of the house. Just got to look into how reliable Zigbee wireless communication are & if there is any down sides. But will still at this stage be keeping the options open as plug wise still has limitations on what it can monitor, but seems to be improving.
                        I would also still prefer the way i am thinking with hard wiring in the respect of things like the plug wise adapters being unplugged.

Cheers.
                        Last edited by Collectors; 25 March 2009, 01:24 PM.
                        Regards Chris.
                        Barnet Walks
                        Collectors-info

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

>suspicion that quite a few of these are rebadged ...

maybe, but some have mechanical counters, some LCD ... so, hmmm ? !

>counterfeiting and/or product copying ...

yep, makes me nervous of quality - how do we avoid the rubbish, I wonder ??

Comment

• Kevin
                            • Jan 2004

I'm also hearing on the grapevine about a Linux based 12 channel wattmeter that is targeted around $500. I am not sure if this is current transformer based however. When I get more info I'll post it.

K

Comment

• Kevin
                              • Jan 2004

So... after the bulk buy is anyone using a large number of the Eltako KWHr meters in Cortex - do the counters ever miss pulses or are they staying synched ?

Also back to the eight input ODI which now has count ability - anyone using these successfully and are they staying in synch ? Migh be hard to tell with an 8 bit counter. Is there support yet for using these as energy usage sources within Cortex ?

K

(Just getting around as to how best to use my dozen units)

Comment

• Gumby
                                • May 2004

I'm still waiting for the electrician to fit mine ... I thought there was a building bust on ...
                                ----------------------
                                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

Working...
                                X