• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcmiguel
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2008

LED GU10 lamps

I have seen that some of you are looking for LED GU10 lamps as replacement for the halogen ones. I wanted both , energy efficiency and dimming capabilities and tried first the Megaman low energy ones. They are longer that usual and looked ugly. Moved to the LED ones and I found some interesting 9W Creed that provide plenty of light although I did not compared in a more scientific way as Gumby. What confused me was that "accidentally" I left led lamps connected to QLD units and they were on even when switched off. Those were the first trial with cheap 20 led type lamps from B&Q. When I tried the expensive 9w I had a strobe disco at home!!! Can anyone explain this behaviour?
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

I've been pleased with the Megaman GU10 format CFLs, but as you say, they won't fit in all fittings and they are quite slow to start. I don't attempt to dim them.

I think the QLD may steal leakage power through incandescents, and this may be the effect you are seeing when they stay on.

The disco mode is a secret feature built into Cortex when panel microphones detect strong beats. Just kidding.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• jcmiguel
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
      I've been pleased with the Megaman GU10 format CFLs, but as you say, they won't fit in all fittings and they are quite slow to start. I don't attempt to dim them.

I think the QLD may steal leakage power through incandescents, and this may be the effect you are seeing when they stay on.

The disco mode is a secret feature built into Cortex when panel microphones detect strong beats. Just kidding.
      THe Megaman GU10 dimmable work great with QLD as long as you accept the ugly duck long neck and understands that they will take time to warm up. They do dim without any issues. I wish I could find LED that can dim.
      I will use the disco mode on my next rave party
      Better, I found the proper project for the disco mode
      Last edited by jcmiguel; 26 March 2009, 05:49 PM. Reason: Found a better way to explain it

Comment

• Paul_B
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2006

Dimmable LEDs do exist but dimmable GU10 LED I haven't found from my normal supplier.

Ultraleds have MR11 and MR16 dimmable LEDS:

Ultraleds Dimmable

Comment

Working...
        X