X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
    One (in a way disappointing) thing I'm learning is that simple is best - even though it might not be the most rewarding or complete to implement. Implementing things in a complex or non intuitive way I find produces a hostility to even try things that are simple.

I'm even questioning push button light switches as people seem to press them all until something happens. If they are interlinked in some way ie scenes it can often be unclear which button does what. Buttons also aren't so 'fumble in the dark' friendly. (Take that as you may). I originally used 8 or 6 button switches but I'm rapidly reducing to four or even two button , and trying to standardise across rooms which position does what eg bottom right is always the main room scene etc.

K
    What he said

I used to find my wife hammering on the buttons if they didn't immediately do what she expected.

The UI to the HA is one of the trickiest things to set up. It's too easy to get clever and then expect other occupants (or visitors) to "learn" it. Not a good way to get acceptance. As far as possible I'm trying to avoid user interaction being necessary (and in my book minimal interaction is the essence of automation).

I try to think of task oriented ways to set up the automation - so "watch TV" is initiated by remote control and everything else keys off that. But sensing is not rich enough for tasks like "read a book"

It's worth reading UI design books like "Don't make me think" to get a perspective on this.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

>don't make me think ...

that's a good title - very apposite !

>worth reading UI design books ...

Apple's Human Interface Guidelines are good too, first set-down in the 80s, and updated ever since ...
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 1 April 2009, 06:21 PM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Gumby
        • May 2004

I think moving to the Mac has certainly affected my attitudes, or perhaps I'm just getting old.
        ----------------------
        www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

seeing the light, 'think they call it !

(funny thing is, people imagine it's something arty-airy-fairy, when actually it's all about daring to try, then thinking it through, being thorough, and discipline - system engineering, some would call it, 'though most system engineers seem not to ... practice what they preach !)

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

>eating day after day food prepared in a canteen ...

problem there, surely, is not the automation, or the industrialisation, but the insensitivity, on the part of those preparing & serving, and on the part of those turning-up to eat ... food needs appreciation & awareness, to be treated with care & sensitivity, and to be eaten when it's ready & just-so ! Automation is only a device, a tool - perhaps quite a smart one, but no more than a tool ... & tools are only as good as those who use them ... bad workman, blames his tools, etc ...

ie: HA is there to help, not hinder ... some help would be handy, but only if it makes things better ... no point otherwise !

well, anyway, so it seems to us ...

sorry, getting carried away !
            Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 1 April 2009, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X