washing machine and dryer in use detection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barhorn
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2004

washing machine and dryer in use detection?

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a way to detect when a washing machine and dryer are currently being used. Ideally, I'd like to transmit this wirelessly and tell my computer the status, but I'm open to suggestions.

I thought that I could use vibration/motion sensors (http://www.smarthome.com/7450.HTML), but it looks like this doesn't talk X10 and doesn't provide a way to talk to a computer. Unless someone knows of a way to connect this to a computer or convert the audio notification from the base to something that can talk to a computer, This won't work.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I'd even consider using an interim plug to detect current draw to detect that the washer/dry is in use if anyone knows of such a thing.
  • kwatt
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

Re: washing machine and dryer in use detection?

This, or very similar, was previously discussed on the mailing list.

Cutting a long story short, no you can't.

It is extremely inadvisable to play with the electronics in a washer and, apart from anything else, any modification would invalidate any warranty on the appliance under 12 months or on an insurance/maintenance plan.

The only way I could think to do it safely would be to measure the current draw in some way external to the appliance you could ask Phil at LA if the following would do the trick...

Trust me, it's a lot safer than tinkering with the appliance as many of the modules alone, if you blow one, will cost you the best part of £100 at least.

K.
    Sometimes you get the best light from a burning bridge - Don Henley

Comment

• b2
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2004

Re: washing machine and dryer in use detection?

This might be of interest

Comment

Working...
      X