• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

X10 door bell (again)

Hi all,

Can anybody offer me advise on an X10 door bell set-up. I know that there is a previous post (http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ight=door+bell) regarding an X10, but I want my set-up a little simplier.

What I really want is a standard battery operated door bell and ringer (just inside the front door), but then maybe a way to conneect a powerflash module or X10 sender) between them so that the dorrbell rings normally (dont want an X10 remote ringer, running out of plug points and wife will be unhappy with the extra kit by the front door), but sends an X10 signal so my server can log that the door bell rang (so I can tell if posty really did ring the door bell when her tried to deliver the book and then ran away leaving one of those cards).

Does the powerflash modules need to be plugged into the mains to send the X10 signal, or is say, the Marmitek SC9000 Wireless Voice Dialler Security & Home Automation Controller (which I also have installed by the front door) able to pick up a signal and trun it into X10 for my server?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

just thinking aloud with this one...

Can you get two identical door bell systems and use receiver one to do the audible ringing but modify the second receiver to activate the powerflash module (i.e. replace the bell/buzzer/speaker with a relay connected to the powerflash inputs).

You can then hide the second receiver out of the way but still retain the X10 functionality.

Just make sure that two "identical" door bell systems will activate each other and don't use different internal codes etc.

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

What about a SM10E X10 "Powerflash" Module. This has a DC trigger of 6-18v DC in, and as most door bells are also 6v (4 x 1.5v cells), if I run the tigger off of the doorbell itself, the 6v could trigger the powerflash module, could it not, as well as ringing the doorbell?? I might have to up the voltage (extra batteries) to balance out the Vs to the powerflash and the doorbell.

What do you think?
      __________________________________________________ _______________________
      My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Its worth a try. I don't think you will need to up the voltage either.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X