• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

All Ok Poll solution??

All,

Soory, seem to the most active person on here at the moment, hope you dont mind the stream of questions, but I am busy setting up my network and want to get it just right.

So I have been busy plugging in X10 devices for all I am worth, and everything was going great - that is, until I came downstairs this morning and found a light on (which should have turned itself off). Anyway, after a bit of investigation, found out that dear wife had plugged her laptop in to charge overnight, and used a noisy extension cable, which blocked the X10 signals.

So I was thinking, is there a way to poll X10. What I was thinking about is to get my home server to send a regular X10 signal out (like a radar 'ping') say every 15 minutes, and have a device respond which the server picks up and says, 'yep, everything working'.

It seems all the devices I have are either receivers or senders only (such as 'send an X10 signal when dusk is reached').

anybody have any ideas?

Once again, thanks

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Welcome to X10.

Unfortunatley its not designed to have status messages and confirmations. You may be better off with something more modern like Z-Wave.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

I did look at Z-wave, but the selection of options for the UK looked limited. No, what I was thinking of maybe (and this is the pie in the sky ideas) something like the Marmitek MicroModule AWM2 Marmitek X10 transmitter for 2 addresses.

Have this installed behind a face plate for something automated, but out of the way, and have the server switch it on, then off. Looking at the guide for the AWM2, a switch on also allows sending of 2 X10 commands, and one of these can be used to be picked up by the server, to say, yep, got the signal.

Something like this. In that way, if the server sends the test out and does not get a response, I can then get it to email me (to my phone) to say, "somebody plugged something bad in".

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

That could work. One problem is that you get a status back but the off command may not get through. I have seen this a few times. You can send an on command but not an off command or a dim command but not a bright command.
        This is something that we find more and more. That people want to know if a device is on or off. Which is why, when ever we now do an install we always use Xanura micro modules which can send out status when either polled or when their state changes manually (ie someone has switched the module on locally). We also have our own mini modules which will only send out their status when polled. This is something that we find more and more, that people want to know if a device is on or off.
        Some modules work better than others. My office is very noisy but the Xanura modules never miss a beat. Normal plugin modules are a different story. The lowest X10 signal that has worked was 0.8v for a Xanura module but for a plug in module it was about 1.1 to 1.5v. Remember an X10 signal when transmitted is 5v.
        Quick question for you. When was the house re-wired.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2008

The house was built in 1987, never rewired, with the exception of the extra cables I am currently running (lots more over the coming bank holiday weekend).

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

20 plus years without a re-wire. You may want to think about re-wiring or you could be asking for problems, especially if you are adding extra electrical equipment.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
              So I have been busy plugging in X10 devices for all I am worth, and everything was going great - that is, until I came downstairs this morning and found a light on (which should have turned itself off). Anyway, after a bit of investigation, found out that dear wife had plugged her laptop in to charge overnight, and used a noisy extension cable, which blocked the X10 signals.

Jaffa
              My laptop power supply does the thing
              I have had success in relocating the X10 timer/programmer/CM12 elsewhere - i.e. plugged into a different socket and the X10 signals did get through again.

You could try moving the CM12, and/or buying a plug-in filter for the laptop, e.g. http://www.letsautomate.com/10316.cfm?
              Note this one comes with the offer of a refund if it doesn't solve the problem.

HTH,

Tim.
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jaffab
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Dec 2008

The way I solved the initial problem was to (a) Throw the extension cable away (it was old and nasty, so should not have been used anyway) and (b) told wife not to plug things in (dont think this will work for long).

I am determined to sort out the 'all is working' test. even if it is something nasty like putting a light in a cupbaord controlled by X10, and then putting a light sensor right next to it (X10 turns on light, gets an X10 'its dawn' response, turns light off, gets an x10 'its dusk' response). I am sure I will work out a better (less bits, less cost) way of doing this.

Comment

• TimH
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2004

Are you sure it was the extension cable causing the problem? Often it is the switch-mode power supply itself that spews out the noise...

Something I should've added to my previous reply - when I was getting interference/non-responsive X10, it was only on part of the "network" i.e. some modules would still respond while others would not, rather than a complete failure of all modules to respond.

You could achieve your status monitoring with one UM7206 X10 Universal Module (X10 Controlled Relay Output) coupled to a SM10U Powerflash Interface (Closed Contact -> X10 TX). These run at ~£14 each from www.letsautomate.com.

You could send an "ON" to the UM7206 and watch for the Powerflash unit to register the output, then sometime later turn the UM7206 OFF and again watch for the powerflash to register the change. Saves mucking about with dummy bulbs & light sensors etc

HTH,

Tim.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jaffab
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Dec 2008

Another great suggestion. That will do me just fine. Tim, with this suggestion and the pointer to the CurrentCost correct driver, you are turning into my new best friend. Thanks.

Comment

• TimH
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Feb 2004

No problem - glad to be able to help!

Cheers,

Tim.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
                      X