• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rarmour
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2009

2 phones into one wont go

I have just tried to connect 2 phones into 1 socket via a telephone adapter (4 wire)at my aunt's house.

While each phone works when I connect either of them into the socket, neither of them produce a dial tone when connected singly into the adapter.
    The adaptor works with my phone at a different address.

I had a look at the wiring inside the socket. (I think it is a NTE5). There was a soilid blue wire connected to one screw terminal and a solid orange to the other screw terminal. The solid brown wire and the solid green wire were unconnected. There was no other wiring on the faceplate to any other phones.

Any ideas?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Is the adapter just a straight forward type, in that it just splits one socket in to 2.
    One thing to try is to take your phone to your aunts house and see if that works there with and without the adapter.
    Do you know the REN (Ringer Equivalence Number, this is the load that you can put on the line) of the phones. I have seen when you have a very high REN number you can get situations where the line becomes faint or doesn't ring properly if at all. This is normally more of a problem with older phones, answering machines and fax machines.

The only other thing I can suggest is to have a look at these sites
    TELEPHONES, SWITCHBOARDS, PMBX, PAX, PABX, ERICSSON TELEPHONES, BRITISH TELEPHONES, GPO, BT, POST OFFICE, TELEPHONE SYSTEMS & KEYSYSTEMS, GEC TELEPHONES, FOREST of DEAN, LOCAL EXCHANGE TRADING SYSTEM, LETS, AUDIOLINE, ERICSSON, GEC, STIRLING, PEEL CONNER, GEC, AUDIOLINE, CLOCKS, GPO INFORMATION

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...tallation.html Scroll down to the installation bit

Just had another thought, is your aunts phone a UK phone (as in bought in the UK) or was it purchased elsewhere

Good luck.
    Last edited by toscal; 10 April 2009, 05:03 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rarmour
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2009

2 phones into 1 wont go

The adapter is a straight forward double adaptor from Maplin. It works fine on my phone at my house.

The new phone is a brand new BT big button 100 with a REN of 1 from Argos. My Aunt's sight is very bad and, because she was lacking in confidence to get rid her of her old phone just yet(a binatone) she asked if I could leave both of them connected.

What I don't undertand if I plug just this new phone into the NTE5 it works fine. If I connect it through the adaptor it doesn't! Same goes for the Binatone.

thanks

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

I've seen something like this before with the 2-in-1 adaptors when using a phone and separate answering machine. The volume in the phone handset was much reduced when passing through the adaptor.

Have you tried the adaptor with exactly the same phones at your house?

You could try changing the adaptor (different brand), or temporarily wiring an extension socket off the master so you can keep both phones connected for the changeover period.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• rarmour
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2009

two phones into one does go!

I took your suggestion and tried a different adapter that I happened to have in my "man drawer". I was amazed to find it worked!

I thought adapters would all be the same. Many thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X