• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Applicance switch behind filter?

All,

The scenario is I want to control and switch off my home entertainment applicences in one shot. they are all pluged into a spike protector 4 way gang, which is plugged into a filter (as the plasma mucks up the x10) which is into the wall socket.

If I plug a plug-in applience switch into the mix, will it work. Ie (and it sounds and will look ghastly), if I plug an applicence switch into the filter, and then the gang into this applience switch, will the filter filter out the X10 signal, or does the filter just filter out the noise?

I want my system to start powering things off (at the mains) when there is nobody in the house.

Ta

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Its better to plug it in this order appliance module - filter - 4 gang socket. The filter filters out frequencies around the 120Khz which is the frequency that X10 uses. Also bear in mind that the appliance module can only cope with a maximum load of 16 Amps.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

All,

Ok, back to this one - I cant get it to work. I have programmed up the X10 Appliance Module - 2G (http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/appli...le-p-1181.html) with the new device code and tested it with a lamp, and it responds to commands.

So I then do the suggested setup....

Wall socket > 2g applience switch > Filter (Marmitek X10 UK Plug-in Filter) > 4 way extension/spike controller > Devices

In this combo, the applicence switch is not working. I dont think its the load, as the device says it can deal with > 2kw and all devices give a max load of 450w.

Is it possible that the spike controlling extension is causing the problem. Would a cheaper extension be better? I would have thought any noise from the extension would have been removed by the filter.

I would start trying swap out of devices and extensions etc, except that its all located behind the TV stand, which is hard to reach, so wanted to pick other peoples brains first.

thank you in advance.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

It is possible that the spike protector is mucking up the X10 signal, though I doubt it.
        Try the appliance module with a light in the socket you use for the TV etc. and see if that works. If it does then try appliance module, filter and light. Then try the 4 way extension in the equation with the lamp.
        Let us know how you get on.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2008

Got it sorted. Took the face plate off (to trace the direction of the cables, to see if there was something buzzing down ther line) and found that the face plate has some black ash on it - the previous owners must have made it go bang at some point in the past with something dodgy, and just wiped down the front of the plate.

Replaced the faceplate, and everything kicked into life. WooHoo. Saving myself some money now

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Oh good glad you have sorted it out.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X