• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

X10 central heating control

OK, Almost there on my home automation setup now (well, at least the 1st phase). The final part of the jigsaw is the central heating, and I am hoping you can give me some pointers.

The current (gas) central heating is a regular dial thermostat in the hallway, a timer control box in the airing cupboard (usual push button lcd time controls) connected to the pump and flow control valve. However, the thermostat is shot, so needs replacing, and of course, looking for an X10 alternative.

Looking at Lets Automate etc, the one everybody is listing is the X10 Digimax 210 Wireless Room Thermostat (not the most attractive or functional model). Now whilst this appears to work with my SC9000, this is one area I actually want to control from my PDA/wall computer - I dont want to have to phone in to automate the temp.

So a few questions....

1) Can I control the 210 Thermostat from both X10 commands and the SC9000, or just the SC9000?
    2) If not, is there a better thermostat?
    3) Will the X10 termostat work with my existing timer, or will it be a rip and replace of this as well (I want to automate the temperature now, and then the rest of the heating as part of phase 2 (if possible))
    4) I assume behind the existing termostat is the cable running to the current timer/pump. Will this cover the wire up required for the X10 controller, or does this need a connection to the mains (bearing in mind that the thermostat is wired to the controller/pump and these are wired into the mains, therefore should be able to move the signal)

i hope this all makes sense.

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Here are some answers for you.
    1. You can not control the digimax210 via X10 as such. on the SC28 or SC9100 I know you can set the setback and on temps in the console, rather than on the digimax. This works like this. Settings are ON temp set to 22 degrees and setback set to 20. On time for heating in panel 16:00 and Off time 19:00
    IF the panel is armed and the time is after 16:00 it will use the setback temp of 20 degrees, then you arrive at home at 18:00 the temp is now set to 22 degrees. During the on cycle if the heating needs to come on the panel will send an X10 On command to an appliance module used to control the boiler. The house and unit code will depend on what the panel is set to. And like wise when it needs to go off it will send an X10 off command.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Another way to do it maybe is to use an RFXCOM device either with the digimax or with one of their sensors. www.rfxcom.com

2. Possibly . But many are expensive. I have a client who uses one that has its own built in webserver I think.

3. Could do but it depends on the timer. But it maybe more hassle that its worth.

4. It may be possible to use a Universal Receiver Module that sends a contact closure when it recieves an X10 command, instead of an appliance module at the boiler, but only if your boiler can accept this type of control.
    Last edited by toscal; 22 April 2009, 05:25 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• TimH
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2004

Jaffab,

You might be better off getting a "proper" temperature sensor and interfacing that to your CH system.

You could try a Barionet (www.laser.com) or a WebBrick (www.o2m8.com) as both these devices support the Dallas / Maxim 1-Wire temperature sensors and also have ethernet ports built-in. You'd configure the Barionet or WebBrick to close an output when heat is required and open an output when the temperature is satisfied. You could interface the output then to a Powerflash module to send the appropriate on/offs to an appliance module at the boiler panel or just go direct via a realy. The Barionet/WebBrick would take care of scheduling (timer functions) and you can also set the target temperatures in there too (and access via local PC or internet).

Neither the Barionet or WebBrick are as cheap as the typical X10 modules but you do get a huge amount of functionality in both packages

HTH,

Tim.
      Last edited by TimH; 29 April 2009, 01:35 PM. Reason: words order of
      My Flickr Photos

Comment

• jaffab
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by TimH View Post
        Jaffab,

You might be better off getting a "proper" temperature and sensor interfacing that to your CH system.

You could try a Barionet (www.laser.com) or a WebBrick (www.o2m8.com) as both these devices support the Dallas / Maxim 1-Wire temperature sensors and also have ethernet ports built-in. You'd configure the Barionet or WebBrick to close an output when heat is required and open an output when the temperature is satisfied. You could interface the output then to a Powerflash module to send the appropriate on/offs to an appliance module at the boiler panel or just go direct via a realy. The Barionet/WebBrick would take care of scheduling (timer functions) and you can also set the target temperatures in there too (and access via local PC or internet).

Neither the Barionet or WebBrick are as cheap as the typical X10 modules but you do get a huge amount of functionality in both packages

HTH,

Tim.

Tim, once again, a great suggestion. I like the idea (and look) of the Barionet device.
        __________________________________________________ _______________________
        My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

No probs

Something else I perhaps should've mentioned - the Barionet is capable of communicating via xAP so would open more possiblities for and integrated interface & control methodology. There's some info at www.xapautomation.org and on the xAP forum here.

HTH,

Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
          X