• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

Idranet power consumption

The IPS gives an estimate of current used on the network but I thought I'd double check this by plugging my power meter into the socket that feeds the IPS.
    Typically the IPS reports ~0.6A
    Over the last few days I've measured an average consumption of 14.7Watts, with instantaneous measurements from ~19 to 13W, I guess depending on whether the battery was being charged or not.

My network consists of 4 MFP/DFP, 5 QR* 2 DRB and ~3 LPS plus a few PIRs powered from the network.

Overall not a bad result on a par with an alarm panel and probably less than most ADSL modem/routers, set top boxes etc.

Has anyone else measured their network consumption?

HTH

Jon
    JonS
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

interesting - was that true power, or just based on current ... ask that, because our voltage is often above 250V, so powerwise the difference between that & whatever might be being assumed (220V, 230V, or ... ) could be significant ! ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• JonS
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2007

The plug in meter displays, volts, amps, VA, PF (power factor ~ 0.6) etc so I assume that the cumulative KWh measure is a true volts and amps type measure. IIRC I got it from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343 spec here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/L61AQ.pdf
      Suggests my assumptions are correct.
      HTH
      Jon
      JonS

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

The IPS puts out closer to 15V than 12V. So at 0.6A for IDRANet and one or two unmeasured watts elsewhere (as you say battery, IPS electronics, and anything on the unmetered spur) plus accounting for the SMPS efficiency then I think the figure you got at the mains side looks to be fairly representative. I imagine also that metering accuracy might deteriorate somewhat at either end of the scale?

Comment

Working...
        X