• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Laser presence sensor ...

just a thought, may well be daft, but simple laser levels are pretty inexpensive these days ... so wondered if it could be useful to utilise them in presence sensing, in some way ... pulse them on every so often, say every ten seconds, have sensors in various locations and/or use CCTV to check for pattern changes, maybe PIRs could play a part (?) ...

might be useful as an intruder deterrent, too, providing visible scanning ...

PS: if this does make any sense, timing could be important - eg: looking for pattern changes in CCTV images could mean comparing individual frames, taken at intervals, in each of which the laser is doing its bit - not sure how precise the coordination of laser & camera would have to be ? Ditto laser & PIR - & does it make sense to talk of PIR images ?
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 1 May 2009, 02:42 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

have you been watching mission impossible again?
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

or was it Wallace & Gromit ?
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

The Wrong Trousers Me Thinks.
        Laser presence sensors don't really exist. Though some of the IR beam ones come pretty close.
        One thing I did think of was using a matrix of IR beam sensors so you would get a grid reference, and therefore a position. But how small do you make the the grid squares. At 1m square it soon gets expensive.
        I may have mentioned these before but they look interesting

Unfortunately I have concrete floors, so don't know how reliable they would be.
        Manufacturers website is here www.sureaction.com
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X