CM11U/CM12U - what a pile of ****. Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

CM11U/CM12U - what a pile of ****. Alternatives?

So,

As with most of you, I guess, I am starting to get annoyed with the CMU11/CMU12 Pc X10 control devices. After just 3 days, my device started playing up (the locking up for no reason).

I had dropped Marmitek an email, but so far, no response. But I had read elsewhere that it was a problem with heat build up, so took my device to bits and drilled lots (and I mean Lots) of big fat air holes - looks like cheese now.

Its better, but every 4 or 5 days, it still locks up and needs to be unplugged, left to cool for 10-15 minutes, the PC software restarted and then its ok again.

So, the question has to be, are there any other solutions (yet more air holes?) or a better alternative product. Getting bored with my wife saying "lights an't working again".

Jaffa
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I have found that if you are not using the device to store or run macros then taking out the batteries seems to cure most things. The batteries are only needed for the real time clock when there is no power supplied to the unit.
    One of my clients has had their CM11 plugged in for over a year now with no problems but then the computer isn't plugged into it 24/7. And another client has had his plugged in for 18 months without any problems. In the last case he never installed the batteries. But he is using the USB lead.
    The CM15 pro is very good. The Activepro software is much better than the activehome software.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

Hi,

I dont have any batteries in, or even the battery cover on any more (less plastic, more room for heat to escape).

Comment

• TimH
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2004

Jaffab,

Have a look at Homevision / Homevision Pro...

While I've heard of lots of CM11s/12s failing after *13* months (i.e. just out of warranty ) I don't recall anyone mentioning a Homevision failure - failure of an X10 signal to get through, yes, but not the unit itself breaking.

Those that have them seem to swear by them; they're reliable and expandable. They are a step-change in price from a CM11/12 but you get a whole lot more functionality too. E.g. you should be able to achieve what you wanted with the Barionet/WebBrick with Homevision's inbuilt I/O.

HTH,

Tim.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

I have a Homevision unit which has been on now for three years, the only time it was switched off apart from the odd power cuts was to do a firmware upgrade, which was free.
          The Homevision unit uses an Xm10 X10 interface.
          They are a bit expensive which is why I didn't mention it in my last post. But I love my homevision unit. The HV forum is excellent. Also there is a program called HVXL written by one of the forum members this replaces the standard HV PC program. http://hv.tclcode.com/
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• raven
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2007

Does it use a USB or serial interface?

Comment

• jaffab
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by raven View Post
              Does it use a USB or serial interface?
              My device? Its serial.

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

Is the CM15pro really any better than the CM11/12 - do enough people have one to know?

I'm pretty brassed off with CM12s...
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

I have one client who has had a CM15 now for 6 months with no problems and I have one set up in my office for about the same length of time with no problems.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• black cloud
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • May 2009

Hi, I have recently purchased a CM15, been running for about a month now, not connected to my computer. It seems fine, no problems at all. I have put the ActiveHome Pro software through some good tests and it has done everything that I need in the way of timers, macros and dusk to dawn stuff. There is plenty of memory left even though I use the dusk to dawn variations for every day.

Though I have had X10 stuff for years, I have never had a CM11 or CM12, so I can't point out the differences.

I have the PalmPad remote HR12U with it, and the wireless range of this combination is not that good. Basically OK if in the same room, which is fine for me, but not so good if used from other rooms. Of course, I can't tell if the remote transmission is feeble or if the CM15 is a bit deaf.

Comment

• jaffab
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Dec 2008

I am trying something new, just to see if it improves anything. As part of my homebrew solution, I have stopped using Activehome (or whatever is the software supplied with the CM12/CM11 units) and instead, control X10 through my app.

Every 20 minutes, I cam sending an X10 command out to a device which does not exist with an execwait in place, with an email out to me if it fails. I have read elsewhere, if nothing happens for a while, the CM11/CM12 can go to sleep, so a poll every 20 minutes deems to be keeping it awake. And if it stops responding, at least I get an email (then sent to my phone via exchange) to tell me.

So far, 4 days, and no hangs. I will keep you all posted.

Comment

Working...
                      X