Thread: Detector confusion

Automated Home Lurker

Default Detector confusion

Hi

I am looking at the powermax system, but am a little confused by some of the technical terms.

Could anyone explain the difference between a supervised and unsupervised detector? For example the K9-80 MCW and K-980 W detector.

Also, whats the difference between the K9-80 MCW PIR and Next K9-85 PIR - they seem to do the same job?

Thanks

The difference between K9-80 MCW and K9-85 is really the maximum size of your pet the 80 is 36Kg and the 85 is 38kg there are some others such as case design and the way the signals are processed.
    The K-980 W is really designed for use as an add-on to an existing hard-wired system where wiring a conventional sensor is not possible. This detector is to be used with a Visonic WR-200/WR-300 "12 Bit" wireless receiver. Don't know if the powermax Plus or Pro range is compatible with them. I don't think they are.

Not too sure about the supervised or non-supervised. I think supervised allows the alarm panel to monitor the detector, so if it doesn't get an ok status signal from the detector every 90 seconds or so then it knows there maybe something wrong with the sensor. Non supervised doesn't send out this OK status signal. As I said I think its something like this. I do know for insurance purposes that most companies prefer supervised detectors to non-supervised.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks Toscal. I had wondered about the K9-80 and K9-85 as I couldnt see much difference at all. However I had noticed most UK sellers only have the 85, whereas international sellers have both.
    I have found a fantastic deal on the K9-80 so just wanted to be sure they were compatible with the Powermax Pro and up for the job.
    Thanks for your help