Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Water Level Measurement

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks Paul and Chris,
    I was initially considering reed switches (or float switches), perhaps 15 connected together with resistors in a loop and mount this in a tube. Around the tube I would have magnets mounted on a floating device. If the whole loop has 15 resistors connected in series and the reed switches short cutting this loop, I would be able to get the water level by measuring the total resistance in this loop. Problem however is that it would not give a very exact measure of the water level unless I have a switch every centimeter or so. Hence the ultrasonic solution, but from what I have read a lot of people have the same experience as you Paul (although some mentioned increasing power supply and filtering as solutions for the MaxBotix).
    The Gillsc that Chris mentioned seemed interesting, but I guess the price will be quite high. (http://gillsc.com/content/datasheets...140814?v=2.pdf)

So, I think I will go with the easy/cheap solution with switches.
    /Glenn

Thanks Chris,

Can I assume you are measuring for a certain threshold rather than across the whole depth?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Aristoteles View Post
    Thanks Paul and Chris,
    I was initially considering reed switches (or float switches), perhaps 15 connected together with resistors in a loop and mount this in a tube. Around the tube I would have magnets mounted on a floating device. If the whole loop has 15 resistors connected in series and the reed switches short cutting this loop, I would be able to get the water level by measuring the total resistance in this loop. Problem however is that it would not give a very exact measure of the water level unless I have a switch every centimeter or so. Hence the ultrasonic solution, but from what I have read a lot of people have the same experience as you Paul (although some mentioned increasing power supply and filtering as solutions for the MaxBotix).
    The Gillsc that Chris mentioned seemed interesting, but I guess the price will be quite high. (http://gillsc.com/content/datasheets...140814?v=2.pdf)

So, I think I will go with the easy/cheap solution with switches.
    /Glenn

Glenn,

Just did a search on Bing for projects based on Raspberry Pi or Arduino. The Arduino projects look interesting especially as you pick them up so cheaply. Most appear to go with pressure transducers whilst a few mention ultrasound - http://www.bing.com/search?q=arduino...nk&FORM=HDRSC1

Paul

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

we're measuring by how much it exceeds a certain level - we have eight float switches measuring the level within a c.300mm range ...

Chris

why Raspberry PI / Arduino - wouldn't Cortex + ODI and/or QAO modules do all they could do, more easily, more economically, and more integratedly ???

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    why Raspberry PI / Arduino - wouldn't Cortex + ODI and/or QAO modules do all they could do, more easily, more economically, and more integratedly ???
    Chris, What I meant by this is their are a number of projects in the Arduino / RPi community discussing and demonstrating how to measure water level through the use of pressure transducers or ultrasound that could be used as the basis for use with Idratek

Paul

Paul -

sorry, was being slow ...

OTOH, there’s an Arduino with breadboard and various bits & pieces sitting here, in a box, in a drawer, waiting for something to use it for - we thought it seemed a good idea at the time, and there did seem to be lots that people were doing with them, only we’ve found Cortex + modules can do all we’ve wanted, so far !

Chris