Wireless security system recommendation & considerations.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • splat1
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2009

Wireless security system recommendation & considerations.

Hey all,

(First post, although been a lurker here for well over a year :/ Linux nut/Electronics student.)

Moving into our new house the end of this month,
    3 storey terrace house (rented) and need to locate a suitable wireless alarm system.

quick overview of tasks that need to be covered,
    3 storey terrace house (rented) so stick on / small screws only.
    Can't hear the door's go when on the top floor. (door chime function/HA interface out ?)
    Linked smoke alarms would be a real pro (I seem to remember something about those being required by law?)
    Should only need 5 door/window contacts to cover down stairs, getting to the second floor would require a big ladder and time.
    2/3 PIR's (cat friendly would help) to cover halls/stairs
    3 keyfobs or a wireless panel that can be stuck by the door.
    HA interface trigger per zone/device , rs232 would be preferable as anything would be tied into our existing linux system.

Want to try and keep the whole system south of £400 (yes I know not very helpful)

Comments, advice, brands, installers (Leicester) very welcome please
    --
    √ Matt Evans
    √ Splat1
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Rather than restate various other posts here are the links to them.
    This should give you a good idea and no doubt raise a few more questions.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• splat1
      Automated Home Lurker
      • May 2009

Thanks for the reply toscal,
      had not seen the last post on that list.

Loooking like the visonic powermax+ covers what I need for a sane price,
      Anyone know if its worth the cost to get the Complete or Pro versions if your not after the network functions?
      --
      √ Matt Evans
      √ Splat1

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

They all seem to do similar things I guess its down to price. But the Pro and complete have internal modules for GSM and IP modules. I like the look of the Complete and Pro systems. The Plus does feel a bit plasticy (installed a few of these).
        Also even though there is a serial interface Visonic guard the protocol like a country guards nuclear access codes. So I don't know if its possible to get anything other than the visonic PC software to communicate with the alarm panel. Maybe using an rfxcom device and visonic wireless sensors to get the info into the linux box might be a better way. www.rfxcom.com
        Last edited by toscal; 23 May 2009, 08:32 AM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• splat1
          Automated Home Lurker
          • May 2009

Will have to take a look what the budget will stretch to, I take it from reading the visonic website that the sensors (securecode) work with the + and above range of panels ?
          It had crossed my mind the serial interface may not be simple, the IP module runs linux under the hood but I doubt they are going to include the protocall with its source. will have to get out some toys and tinker myself
          Failing that Ill nab a rfx module based on the review given on here
          --
          √ Matt Evans
          √ Splat1

Comment

Working...
          X