• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Hi Chris,

Not sure why the US comment is relevant – I thought the “rest of the world” and especially the European mobile market was more technologically advanced than the US, but maybe that’s just me

I would’ve thought that allowing the router to handle the changeover would be as seamless as it could be, and certainly better than getting a bit of software on a single PC to do it. As far as the individual PCs/devices know, the internet connection is still there as the router has handled everything - i.e. it is invisible to the user. The failover to 3G is relatively new, but the concept is not – there have been lots of Enterprise-grade devices which would divert to ISDN etc. if the primary connection was down.

Different routers handle the 3G interface in different ways. The Vigor 2820 uses a USB modem, others use either a PCMCIA or Express card and some accept the SIM directly (I think).

Doing it in the router is also a better solution if there are multiple PCs, or other devices (network cameras etc.) as these will continue to function. If status/control by SMS is a definite need then a service similar to sendmytxt, or a dedicated mobile phone set up to do just that is probably better and more reliable. ISTR that Twitter had an SMS interface, but also STR that this was withdrawn in the UK - I might be talking rubbish though…

I think there are a couple of xAP applications which can report status etc. to instant messaging clients, I’ve not investigated this too deeply though.

If you're seriously worried about a cut phone line affecting your alarm, then look into Redcare:
    BT Redcare Systems from ITS Home security offer groundbreaking security levels for your home or business

Rather than just waiting for a dial-out it continuously monitors the status of your phone line. If it gets cut, maliciously or otherwise, an alert is generated.
    Also as the above link indicates, GSM dialers for alarms are "mainstream" now too. ISTR there was an alternative to Redcare too, but the name escapes me now.

I don't know if this was mentioned in a previous thread, but if you have a USB modem, can't you extend it over Cat5 you get a better signal? i.e. perhaps put it in a waterproof box outside under the eaves, run cat5 inside and into the relevant port on the router?
    Failing that you may be looking at a "proper" GSM aerial to get a decent signal.

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

Hi Tim -

this seems to be a case of VA - violent agreement ! Yep, quite agree Europe ahead, but it doesn't help that the US market is the lucrative one - ie: things & thinking & problem resolution tends to be focused & driven more that way ... quite agree router better approach, to managing connections, and that it could in principle handle all the possibilities, including 3G ... just not sure they've put the effort in, yet, to actually do it well enough for what we're talking about here ... may be wrong, and great if I am, and now the US is at last getting going with 3G, too, I guess days are numbered - goodness, there are even rumours that a MacBook Air with 3G built-in is about to appear ! Our experience with 3G (and we rely on it totally for all our Internet connections, out & about & at home) is that it doesn't run 100% smoothly, and that its foibles are likely to be difficult to handle in an automatic way ... and also that an external aerial is likely to be more than a good idea, both because of patchy coverage, and because the particular frequencies involved don't travel at all well when it comes to being indoors ...

best

Chris
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
      X