• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zion
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2008

X10 PIR Solution - need advice!

Hi all,

I'm looking for a stylish, outdoor PIR which I can use to trigger an X10 command. I don't mind if its wired or wireless (prefer wired in a way) or if the X10 functionality is in the device or via another adapter. The problem is all I can find at the moment are x10 pirs with built in lights (I want the light in a different position) or the RF hawk-eye PIR which isnt really robust enough for outdoor use, and of course, standard non X10 PIRs which only switch mains systems and therefore I can't use it for X10.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a way I can use a bog standard outdoor PIR with my X10 system somehow - perhaps through some kind of adapter?

Or does anyone know of a nice outdoor X10 pir unit?

Thanks!

Z.
  • Marc
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2004

I currently use an Elite PIR with a powerflash module. The Elite PIR's are excellent bits of kit and very configurable (both NC and NO) plus distance, pulse, led on or off etc.

The Powerflash module will convert it's trigger to X10!

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Any wired outdoor PIR would work with a powerflash module. Though you will need a 12V DC supply for the PIR.
      Optex do some good sensors. They even do a battery version of their VX-402 range, so no need to run extra cables for the power. And they now do a GSM version, so you can get text messages when its triggered.

Don't know how much they are in the Uk but here in Spain they cost from about 150 euros. So not cheap.
      Last edited by toscal; 28 May 2009, 02:59 PM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• zion
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        Any wired outdoor PIR would work with a powerflash module.
        Not sure I understand how? Most of the ones I see simply have mains relays inside them which are triggered on/off, so you have to wire everything through it.

How would the powerflash work with this?

Thanks,

Z.

Comment

• zion
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Marc View Post
          I currently use an Elite PIR with a powerflash module. The Elite PIR's are excellent bits of kit and very configurable (both NC and NO) plus distance, pulse, led on or off etc.

The Powerflash module will convert it's trigger to X10!

http://www.letsautomate.com/10258.cf...C674AA8805C8E2
          Great! Looks like exactly what I need! Thanks!

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by zion View Post
            Not sure I understand how? Most of the ones I see simply have mains relays inside them which are triggered on/off, so you have to wire everything through it.

How would the powerflash work with this?

Thanks,

Z.
            What I meant was any exterior PIR designed for an alarm panel such as the ones shown in the link I gave you. I have a couple of clients who have these sensors from Optex and they work very well.
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• richms
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jul 2004

If you open up most cheap sensor lights they have 2 boards in them, one is the PSU and relay, the other the motion sensor - there are 3 or 4 wires between them, one is usually 5v into the motion sensor, another a control to the relay, and the third ground. There is a 4th on some that is for sensing when the power is turned off and on again which can be ignored from what I have found.

Comment

Working...
              X