Thread: UK X10 Thermostat

Automated Home Jr Member

Default UK X10 Thermostat

Hi all,

Can someone please recommend me a UK x10 compatible thermostat - I don't need anything fancy, just a temperature sensor that can be queried over x10 and basic boiler on/off switching.

The only thing I can find is the RCS 485 or RCS TXB-16 series devices which are from the US only and really expensive!

Thanks,

Zion.

There was one once and it used the dim and bright commands to report temperature, but I can't seem to find it.
    You could use a digimax 210 thermostat and then the RF relay receiver to control your boiler and then use an RFXCOM receiver to receive the temperature data from the digimax. www.rfxcom.com
    I agree the RCS style stats are way too expensive.
    I might be able to come up with another idea so if I do I will let you know.
    Have you tried Googling for X10 controlled thermostats.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    There was one once and it used the dim and bright commands to report temperature, but I can't seem to find it.
    You could use a digimax 210 thermostat and then the RF relay receiver to control your boiler and then use an RFXCOM receiver to receive the temperature data from the digimax. www.rfxcom.com
    I agree the RCS style stats are way too expensive.
    I might be able to come up with another idea so if I do I will let you know.
    Have you tried Googling for X10 controlled thermostats.
    Yep this could be a solution - the digimax and the rfxcom - thanks! I can use the rfxcom to receive the temperature from the digimax, but how do I get the temperature back to HAL 2000? convert it to x10 using the rfxcom?

Thanks again,

Z

PS yes I have

Automated Home Jr Member

Also I have a 833Mhz rfxcom receiver on order already to interface with my visonic system,,,, are the digimax devices on a similar freq or would I need the 433mhz version for that?

Might sound a daft question but do you need to *know* the temperature, or jsut have the boiler come on & off at the right settings?

If just the latter you could wire a regular bimetallic room stat to the input of a powerflash module, then the powerflash would send the appropriate on/off to an appliance module next to the boiler.

Not very elegant but would do the job?

Tim
    p.s. powerflash modules here: http://www.letsautomate.com/10258.cf...9-e72a2e7656a4

The digimax works on 433Mhz.
    So you will need the other module as well.
    You could also connect the RF receiver to a powerflash as well if you want. But since it can connect to the boiler I guess there is no real need. The RF receiver is normally purchased separately to the digimax, it is often reffered to as an RF10 RF Receiver for Digimax 210, its normally about the same price as the digimax210.
    As for getting the RFXCOM data back into HAL could this be done via a serial port. OR how will you be getting the Visonic info into HAL, and do something similar for the temp.

You may find this article of interest.
    http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/jun9...s/enerzone.htm
    Last edited by toscal; 29th May 2009 at 12:30 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    As for getting the RFXCOM data back into HAL could this be done via a serial port.
    Hi,

This is the ideal solution really, but HAL does not natively support the rfxcom? So do you know how to do this? Maybe XPL or something?

the rfxcom auto-converts the Visonic data to X10, which is nice, but it doesnt do this for the Digimax signals.

Thanks,

Z.

Try contacting RFXCOM I am sure they can help you. Or is there a HAL users forum maybe someone on there can help you.