• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Bathroom pull down switches - for X10

Hello Again,

The next part of my house (almost the last) that I want to automate is the lights in the downstairs toilet. It gets left on all the time, and I want to automate it so when you walk in, the movement detector turns on the light, which goes off after say 10 minutes.

Anyway, not really sure what to do about the light switch - because its a pull down affair (like a bathroom) rather than an in-wall switch.

I am not keen to rip up the upstairs floorboards to put in a hidden microswitch, and the round switch part (thats attached to the ceiling) of the light switch is too small to hold a micro switch.

Anybody have any ideas?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Is it surface mount or recessed. If its surface mount you maybe able to fit a Recessed Round Dry Lining Box into the ceiling then fit the pull switch onto that. That way you should get the space. Failing that maybe make the hole where the cable for the switch is a little bigger so you can fit the micro module into it.
    Screw fix should sell the recessed boxes. I guess they should be no more than about a pound in price.

What type of light fitting do you have, as you might be able to fit the micro module in there.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Ad
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2004

I have a two wire X10^2 lamp module (http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=72) mounted in a single surface mount 45mm backbox that I screwed to the roof in the place of the old pull switch. Then as the module supports local control I mounted my old pull cord switch on a single cover plate and connected the pull switch to the lamp module...you don't notice it once it is on the roof and I did'nt have to pull the ceiling apart or even take the light down.

Result is soft on/off with local control also. Also have a PIR going into homeseer that activates the light at night, however you could probably do it with an MS13 with the same results if you did'nt have HS.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ad View Post
        I have a two wire X10^2 lamp module (http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=72) mounted in a single surface mount 45mm backbox that I screwed to the roof in the place of the old pull switch. Then as the module supports local control I mounted my old pull cord switch on a single cover plate and connected the pull switch to the lamp module...you don't notice it once it is on the roof and I did'nt have to pull the ceiling apart or even take the light down.
        Basically the same idea as what I suggested above.

Originally posted by Ad View Post
        Result is soft on/off with local control also. Also have a PIR going into homeseer that activates the light at night, however you could probably do it with an MS13 with the same results if you did'nt have HS.
        An MS13 with a TM13 will work
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X