Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring Topology

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    NB: C-Bus cable not screened !
    Thanks for the clarification; just re-read the details and noticed it's 240v sheathing, not screened!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

I now use a pair of 36-way Cat5 patch panels. I have incoming Idranet cables terminated on the back of the first one, and then a set of short bridging cables to the second. The second patch panel then has groups of 6 outlets commoned up and the cable feeds to the IPS. This allows me to isolate any individual feed line. Even with this, I still have many more than 36 modules, so still have star/daisy chain.
    Hi David,

Do you have front and back pics of your setup terminating at the patch panel?

Paul

Attached a quick pic, I may unscrew the panels to take a picture of back another time. But they are standard punchdown blocks, so on the incomer each individual Idratek feed is punched down to one socket.

On the other panel I just daisy chain one Cat-5 cable across 6 outlets. The other end of each of these cables then goes to the 6-way patch board. At the 6-way I common up the patch panel feed and a similarly arranged feed to another patch panel in the Node-0, the feed from the IPS and also a feed to an MPD, which is left un-plugged. The idea of that to create an easy way to swop out the IPS in event of a problem.

When I have found a cheap source of small lengths of stranded CAT5 I'll make much shorted loops to go from panel to panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

OK, as requested this is the rear of one of my patch panels, this one is actually from the Node-0. Of the 4 banks of outlets, 3 are used for Idratek spurs, and the 4th bank is commoned up for POTS.

I ran out of Pink, so it's done in bog standard grey. Basically you just strip of a long length of the sheath and work your way back and forth across the punchdown blocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com