• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hilljd00
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2008

Finally got the keys to my new flat....

Hey,

Finally got the keys to my new flat at bloody last only waited two years lol

Now being disabled i want to make my two bedroom flat as automated as possible to help me out.....

From what i know, i want:

Full HD Video Distribution over CAT5/6 using my media center [Windows 7] to the bedroom

Full HD Projector on and off
    Motorized screen up and down

Open and shut vertical blinds
    Turn the lights on and off

Theirs a couple more things I want but at the moment I think of anything else other than

Two Security Camera's to cover front and back door just encase of break in when im away.

The heating is an under floor system [to be confirmed]

Can you help me pick the right equipment for my needs and suggest other products and stuff that would be useful to me....

Has to be X10 as im not allowed to alter wiring etc etc

Thank you
    Jon
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Hi Jon

Welcome to the Home Automation forum. Sorry that nobody has come back to you - for some reason (must be the nice weather) its been a bit quiet on here for the past week or so.

I suspect one of the reasons nobody else has posted a reply, is becuase your question is just 'too big'. It needs to be more specific. However, as a starter for 10....

I went down the X10 route as well becuase, like you, I didnt want re-wire. Once you get past the X10 niggles (the biggest being noise on the wires), then it works well, is relativly cheap, easy to install etc.

As for your other questions, well I suggest you start by looking at the x10 kit that i available, and working out from there what you want to do. The two biggest suppliers that most people use are:

UK Home Automation..... http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/home-...-c-140_82.html

and

Lets Automate... http://www.letsautomate.com/index.cf...0&URLCaller=HA

The other source of course is the postings in this fine baord. Use the search feature at the top to find posts about an aspect you are interested in, otherwise, if you have any specific questions, feel free to start a new discussion.

Like setting up home automation project, you just need to chunk it into bite size bits so that the discussion can be around a specific topic.

But welcome, and good luck.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• hilljd00
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2008

Thank you

Would the network plugs still work with the X10 system so i dont have to run cat5/6 cable everywhere

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by hilljd00 View Post
        Hey,

Full HD Projector on and off
        Motorized screen up and down

Open and shut vertical blinds
        Turn the lights on and off

Jon
        There is actually a new X10 module designed for projector screens the Marmitek SW12 .

Are the blinds already motorised or will it be a retro fit.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• hilljd00
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
          There is actually a new X10 module designed for projector screens the Marmitek SW12 .

Are the blinds already motorised or will it be a retro fit.
          No blinds in their as of yet but all the other the flats has came with vertical blinds

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

As there are no blinds how about curtains. There are motorised curtain track systems that can be controlled via X10. So an X10 ON would open the curtains and an X10 Off would close them then the bright and dim commands would do something in between. If you have trouble getting this type then we can supply if you want.
            If you go for vertical blinds, then the adda motor system may be worth looking at. http://www.add-a-motor.com/
            IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• hilljd00
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jul 2008

Thanks, do you know if you can run X10 on a NAS like a drobo

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
                Automated Home Guru
                • Feb 2004

Hi Guys

Dont use much x10 stuff myself but i do use some x10 appliance modules which i use to turn off power to appliances at night ...I had some signal strength issues and purchased Jeff Volps x10 booster ,and also the Elk Esm1..
                Heres some links .. I had to replace the us wall wart (on the Elk Esm1) with an Oz version...Using the Elk esm1 i was able to pinpoint some appliance which were sucking my x10 signals...Got some plug in filters from the link below and these have helped a lot

JV Digital Engineering provides electronic design consulting and offers products for the X10 Automation and Model Railroad communities.

HTH
                Frank
                Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
                http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

Working...
                X