• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nad
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jul 2008

Water flow sensors

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has come across any decent yet doesn't cost the eart flow sensors? I'm trying to find away of telling the HA system that someone is having a shower and thought that a flow sensor would be perfect.

I thought of using a temperature sensor to measure the change in temperature but the cool down process or even if the temperatures are changed from one extrme to the other could cause it to give a false reading.

The theory is ...

When the shower is started the Relative humidity is recorded and the extractor fan is started. When finished with the shower the RH is taken aain and if it's not within 10% of the original reading the extractor continues untill it is within 10%, at which point the extractor stops.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

flow switches & solenoid valves are available - eg from :

(click Products & select each from drop-down menu)
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Nad
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jul 2008

That's perfect
      Don't suppose you have come across reasonably priced flow rate meters too

Thanks.
      Nad

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

yep - what we intend is to use these, or something v.similar :

in conjunction with solenoid valves for the taps ... ie: perhaps one meter per wash-room - no need for one per tap ... with a pulse-counting Idratek module to count the pulses & Cortex to do the rest ...
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 25 June 2009, 12:44 AM.
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• jaffab
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Dec 2008

Hi,

Just as a thought, why go through all the hassle of fitting sensors which may or may not do what you want, when you could purchase an extractor fan which does what you are looking for. Xpelair do a humidity controlled extractor fan with various settings and time delays. Its what I use in my on-suite shower room.

Take a look here...

Compare prices, read reviews and check online store ratings at Bizrate.co.uk before you buy online

Hope it helps

Jaffa
          __________________________________________________ _______________________
          My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• Nad
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jul 2008

Thanks again Chris.

Jaffa,

I currently have a iCon 60 installed in the bathroom so the easiest way would have been to use the HTM module on it (less than £30 and job done).

Airflow iCon 60

But what wold be the fun in that

I have an Idratek module installed that senses RH/TMP/Light/PIR so i can already do what the HTM module does, I just wanted a bit more control really. Also I have two down lighters over the shower area and i would like them to be turned on when someone is having a shower if the room light levels are below a certain thresh hold which is higher than the general room light threshold i.e. when it's actually dark.

Thanks,
            Nad

Comment

• jaffab
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Dec 2008

Ah IC. But then, the lights would only turn on when you are actually in the shower, in the water. So maybe, a movement/light sensor is the ticket? Combined with the humid control?
              __________________________________________________ _______________________
              My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• Nad
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jul 2008

The two light circuits in the bathroom is controlled by a Idratek QDL (Quad Light Dimmer module). The logic is as follows (when i get round to doing it any way) ...

* If the room light condition is above threshold 2 and someone is detected then both circuits on
                * If the room light condition is above threshold 1 and someone is having a shower then only the shower lights are activated

It makes sense in my head but I'm not too sure if i've explained it too well though

Thanks,
                Nad

Comment

Working...
                X