Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security lighting install with a Powermax+

Automated Home Jr Member

Ok, I have used a Visonic PIR sensor (just a normal indoor wireless one) placed in a water proof tube with a small whole in it nailed to a tree. A waterproof bird box would be a good choice. The point is you have to reduce the field of vision to a tunnel. You then need to make sure an object prevents it from seeing too far. I have an Iron gate with a line of conifers opposite. Any one climbing the gate will go straight through the field of view of the PIR. Cats wonít climb the gate as they can go through it as do foxes. The trees face is away from the sun so no false alarms. Anyway chimes in the day don't bother me; it's late at night to the early hours that are important. The zone is chime only so it never sets the alarm off. Just use trial and error to get the setup right. The main problem with the visonic PIR is that they seem to switch themselves off after a number of alarms presumably to save power. A real pain when testing the system. The PIR was outside all through the winter without issue. A check inside shows no sign of damp damage. Obviously there is a chance indoor PIRs could get wrecked but like I say my wired PIR has been outside for 4 years and is as good as new. At £3 I'll replace it if it goes. I brought the Visonic one it after about 9 months because I didn't really need it. One was enough.

No X10 is required for chiming unless you need a remote chime. Chime will work on any zone regardless of how it is triggered so PIR is fine. The problem with chime is will you hear it at night. In my case I bought the visonic two way remote keypad because it allows me to control the alarm from my bed and receives the chime from the base unit. This cost £88 pounds but it does offer full remote control.

Why do you want a chime to go off if you put the light on?

You can use X10 but you need the X10 controller. You will then need three X10 appliance switches (one for each flood light. Won't one be enough?) and if you can't use the built-in chime you could use the X10 dog bark. You can then program the unit to send an X10 command to switch on the lights. Personally I wouldn't bother with X10 controlling the flood lights because it sometimes fails so it might not turn the lights off. 1500W left on all night might cost a bit. I use normal PIR that comes with the lights. Ok this goes off a bit more but does that matter. The PIR for intruders is separate and the two systems are independent. X10 could be used but it would be better with a bespoke application to do clever things. I use my Java app so I can say things like. If the lights have been on for 10 minutes between 10pm and 7.00am say then turn them off. You can by clever apps but I donít use them so canít comment.

Best of luck.

Automated Home Jr Member

Thank you sir, most helpful.

Trouble is with our house is that there are various bits to the house round the back.

There are two entrances from the front of the house leading to the back garden either side of the house, both pathways then this path is then hugged to the back of the house where there is like a zigzag at the back of the house in the way it is shaped. This would not be a problem for one PIR carefully positioned in the garden HOWEVER, the garden is elevated so the path round the back of the house is in like a trench so someone coud be missed quite easily.

I will need to put two PIR's at the back of the house to guard both areas. Someone can also jump the fence in the garden at the back and come in through that way. The two that I would situate on the path would cover me for anyone coming in at the back towards the house however, peace of mind says if anyone is in my garden I would like to be altered at an early point so I think 3 would be perfect. The PIR's are not that expensive and I would get the pet tolerant ones so hopefully reducing the false alarms.

The reason I want the X10 is this:

When any of the 3 PIR's are triggered I would like for a security light to be triggered, only one. I would also like to have the control of switching it on remotely should I need to. I have the remote key pad and also two key fobs which have an button that can be linked to activate 1 appliance.

What do I have to buy to become X10 compliant? Is it an XM10? I am only going to rig this security light to a normal 3 pin UK plug in the greenhouse. Would this be all I need to buy?

Is this simple to program?

Once again, thanks for your time, I will get there in the end!

Gavin

Automated Home Jr Member

As Toscal mentioned you need this http://www.letsautomate.com/10215.cf...DE02B6ADF4840A to allow you visonic to talk x10.

Then you need some switches. Try these http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=49

Then you may may be able to control the devices using the alarm else try this

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...products_id=52

There is a lot of choice for remote controls but here is an example

http://x10-hk.com/store/product_info...roducts_id=184

I just picked suppliers I used. Feel free to choice any supplier you prefer.

Then you need to program you visonic controller to send X10 command when zones are triggered. This is the fun bit as the manual in this are seems to have lost the plot. It talks about some other types of zones but gives no indication as to what these are. Any I got there in the end.

Do it in stages. Get the chimes working first. Buy flood lights with infra red sensors an you can still use x10 to control them. Then buy x10 sensor and so on.

Best of luck

For using the X10 on the powermax pro you are better off getting the pc software and serial interface. It makes programming much easier. Plus you can program a lot of the other things too via the interface. Much easier than looking at a tiny LCD screen.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Raven/Toscal,

I cannot seem to be able to configure the PIR that I'm using to just give off the chime sound when the alarm is ARMED. I have configured it using Sensor Type 9 "Non Alarm" so that it chimes when not armed but when it is armed it will not chime.

Can any of you guys tell me how to program the sensor correctly?

Also, just to let you know, I am trying this out just inside just now but am planning to make this go outdoors shortly.

Raven, you said you used a wireless Visonic PIR initially. Did you put this in a waterproof sleeve? I am just planning to silicon seal up the joining area and put it outside. I don't think it should leak anywhere unless you can advise otherwise?

Any thoughts please let me know.

Cheers,

Gavin

The chime only works when the system is not armed.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog