• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbr_uk
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2009

Daisy-chaining Filters?

Hi again! I've established that my Samsung LCD TV causes serious interference with x10 so purchased an x10 plugin filter. This hasn't helped - x10 signals are still not recieved on around half the sockets in the house when the TV is on. My question is - is it worth "stacking" more than one filter with the aim of further reducing the interference?

Any other suggestions on how to reduce interference?
    Last edited by nbr_uk; 16 July 2009, 09:20 PM.
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Well, I had the same problem with my corner set-up (plasma, PS3, Sky, surround sound, etc) and ended up with a filter in a filter (daisy chain). Its the setup I have today.

Its not perfect - still loosing about 5% of signals from my Sc9000 unit so not convinced that the twin-filter is better than a single filter.

I have just ordered a whole house filter (in case its noise coming from outside). I am also thinking of putting a filter on the fridgefreezer - because my problem is intermitant it has to be something intermitant itself, so outside and f-freezer are the obvious points.

But I digress. The secret here is - unplug the TV etc - if the problem dissapears then it could be the TV and try (others will have a view on the double filter option) a double filter. If the problems are still there, the problem is from elsewhere.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• nbr_uk
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jul 2009

H Jaffab - thanks for the response. It's definately the TV -t's fine as long as it's plugged in but not turned on then the second I switch it on it stops signals.

It's incredibly frustrating. I thought the filter would fix it but it hasn't. It's effectly stopped the TV from blocking signals to one of the more remote sockets in the house but that's all.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Do you have anything else on at the same time as the TV. Normally the plug in filters work very well. A whole house filter is definitely worth getting. And should be done as standard. Its something we always install when doing X10 installs.
        If possible try moving the x10 control interface to a different socket may help, the closer to the consumer unit the better.
        Something else to think about how old is the wiring in the house. If its really old then this may be causing a problem. Have also seen where there has been a major reform and extension work on a house that the new and rewired parts are fine with X10 signals but the old part wasn't.
        Finding x10 faults can be very frustrating and not that easy if you don't have the right equipment. Lets automate rent out an X10 signal strength meter. http://www.letsautomate.com/10948.cfm?
        Another option is Jeff Volp's XTB x10 signal booster. http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/ I think Simply Automate can also supply these as well.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• nbr_uk
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jul 2009

Thanks for the tips Toscal I'm considering an all house filter to cut down on background noise.

As you suggested I've relocated the control interface and although not perfect (the TV still causes issues) I think I can work around it.

Comment

• peterpc
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Aug 2009

Marmitek has a AFX2 filter. This much stronger then the FM10 filter.

Comment

• toscal
              • Oct 2005

Something I did for all my Hi-Fi equipment was to have this running through a separate mains conditioner, surge protector and filter type thing. I built it myself from a circuit in a Maplin magazine. They think they even produced a kit. Not too sure if they still do it though. This maybe why I don't have any problems with my X10 setup, plus I have a whole house filter and surge protector as well.
              IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
              Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
              X