• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mr_microphone
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2004

Thrown into CBus...

Firstly, Hi all, I'm n00b around here, but I'll try to fit in!

I've just been thrown into the C-Bus system, thanks to my parent's decision to buy a new house (into which we just moved 2 days ago), and that I've been told I have to reconfigure the entire C-Bus system for them, as they don't understand it at all... (I'm 17, which is a valid reason to still live with parents!)

Fortunately, this house is only 3 years old, so has C-Bus2, so I can use the Learn Mode to reprogram everything (the previous owners of the house had some VERY weird configurations), however, every light and exhaust fan, and security PIRs etc are C-Bus controlled. From the living areas right up to the light in the shed and storage rooms! While I know that moving into a completely C-Bus home is a good thing, the list my parents have given me to change is quite daunting.

My question is, are there any 'tips' as to making the reprogramming easier? I have a list of all the C-Bus output devices, however, there is nothing to indicate what each button in the main C-Bus control box does... all I know is button 8 on the bottom left Relay is the store room... because it lit up when I turned on that light!

Will I have to just get out the CB Radio Handhelds and get someone to tell me what is happening with each button on their I press, or get them to press buttons inside the house and I record which lights turn on? Or is there an easier way to work out what's happening...

Secondly, to actually reprogram an Input button (E2000) I have to press the button on the Input unit, correct? So again, CBs, or running to the input buttons? (Also, how long will the unit stay in "learn mode" until it reverts back to regular C-Bus operation, if I dont' press any input button?

In terms of adding more C-Bus switches, I imagine that coudl become difficult where the house is already built, but if I want to replace, say, a 2-gang E2000 with a 4-gang E2000, coudl that kind of thing be done feasably by the appropriate C-Bus electrician?

I've also read that one input button can be programmed to do multiple functions with different length presses... but I imagine that requires a computer to set up, not just simply learn mode?

Sorry about all these questions!
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Thrown into CBus...

Welcome Mr_Microphone

This is a great resource for you...

With the size of your install you'd be much better to buy a serial or network inteface and use a PC to programme it.

New "CBus Toolkit" software has just been released (first public beta). Details on it and where to download are here...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• mr_microphone
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2004

Thanks for the quick response!

Do you know where I coudl find out australian prices for components online, by chance?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
        Founder
        • Jan 2004

There are excellent Oz based forums here...

C-Bus Technical Support Discussion Forums

M.
        Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
        www.twitter.com/ottomate
        www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

Working...
        X