• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alvestjo
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2004

Idea: how to use American RF devices in Europe

Hi,

I just bougth a X10 starterkit in Sweden. I noticed that the RF remote controlls are much cheeper in the US, so I ordered some of them from AutomatedOutlet.com. However when I recieved them yesterday I found out that they use another frequency in the US :twisted: .

Since I allredy bougth all this remote controlls I started to think about how I can use them anyway. I started to serach the internet and found a solution that might make it possible to use the amrican RF modules on a europeean X10 system. Please give me your feedback!

The idea is to use a American RF transciever with a serial port (V572TW - http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByMa...L/Item/V572TW/)
    and then connect it to the XM10U (http://www.letsautomate.com/10215.cfm?). The V572TWB is made for use with the amrican trancsievers TW523 or PSC05 and as I understand it the XM10U should be similar to them. Does anyone know anything about this?

I hope in this way to be able to use my amrican remotes with a europeean X10 system...

So, this is my idea. Do you thing it will work?
    Thanks for any ideas or comments!
    //Jonas
  • milkattable2
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Sep 2004

Re: Idea: how to use American RF devices in Europe

You could do this with one of these: -

RR501 2-Way Transceiver

or

TM751 Mini Transceiver

Both of which are availible on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...729677573&rd=1

But your going to have a problem with the voltage, all of the US units are designed to work at 110 volts. However they can be modified. There are web sites that detail how to do this, but you need to be good with a soldering iron. Changing the voltage is proberly easier than changing the rf frequency. USA units use 411MHz and UK 433MHz if I remember correctly.

hope that helps

Comment

• milkattable2
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Sep 2004

He is the mod page....

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Regards

Comment

• alvestjo
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2004

thanks for the idea, but I allready looked at that. I would like to avoid the soldering.

My idea is to use a American RF module and a EU powerline interface and connect them with a serial cable. No soldering needed.

The american RF module V572TW is supposed to work with TW523. And the XM10U is the EU version of TW523, right?

//Jonas

Comment

• milkattable2
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Sep 2004

Nope then, i've not done this... But why not try it and see

you can then report back your findings, or if it don't work then sell em on :wink:

however there is a few Q & A's here: -

or ask them the question as well.

Comment

Working...
          X