• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ankh
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jul 2009

Remotely *reseting* PC via X10?

Hi,

I run a web server at home and am concerned about hard lock-ups whilst I am away. I essentially want a robot to go and press the reset button in the event of a hard lockup! However, back to what can realistically be accomplished:

My planned solution to this involves X10. Please let me know what you think or whether there is a better solution.

1) I was planning on plugging the server's power lead into an X10 Appliance Switch.
    2) I would have an old networked 486 running Linux with a CM12U connected.
    3) If I needed to reset the server, I would ssh into the 486 and tell the X10 power unit attached to the server to power-off, then power-on again.
    4) The BIOS on the server is set to power-on if power has been cut & restored.

It's a little frustrating in that all I need to do is short a pair of pins on the motherboard to reset the server - something that could be done with a 486, an RS232 and a switch, if I had the electronics knowledge!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rich

p.s. Based in the UK.
  • TimH
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2004

Hi Rich,

Instead of an appliance module on the power lead you could use one of these units wired across the reset pins:

If you couple that with one of these:

You don't even need to keep a PC on - you can dial into the alarm panel and instruct the X10 modules on/off

HTH,

Tim.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

TimH has beaten me to it. But his approach is probably the best. Something else to think about especially if the Bios has been to set to power-on if power has been cut & restored. I would recommend a time delay so when the power comes on there is a 30 minute delay before the power to the pc is switched on. You can get delayed on relays from RS http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=0214640 This is to stop the odd power fluctuations you sometimes get when power is restored affecting the pc during boot up. As it may go off again within a few seconds of being on.
      If you want to go with TimH's suggestion then we have a few SC28X we want to get get rid of to make way for new stock. PM me if you want a price. We may have a universal module or 2 as well.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
      X