• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Creagan
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jul 2009

Experts Advice request: Home Security with Automation

Hi All,

Neewby here and would like to ask your expert advice please?

I live in the UK and after a recent lapse in home security, I need to replace my home alarm system, but do not want to invest 'closed feature' system. What I am looking for is a system that would take home security (PIR, telephone alerting) and combine it with home automation (Lights, curtains, etc). I have had a look at "Marmitek TotalGuard 7 Piece Wireless Security System" but it only takes two wired PIR and somehow I dont trust wireless.

My question is: What home security system, with home automation, would be best suited, providing plenty of expandability etc? Has anyone done this, and if so, does it exist?

Thanks,

Creagan
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Welcome Creagan.

Have you looked at the Comfort system? http://www.cytech.biz/

Also don't rule out wireless completely - and have a look at http://www.alertme.com

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

From experience and what a few other people have said, and the old saying of jack of all trades and master of none. Most Security systems with HA features either tend to do the security part very well and the HA is kind of an afterthought. Or they do the HA part well and the security bit is kind of OK.
      Some security systems do have serial interfaces that can be connected to an HA controller, and the alarm panel then sends out various commands on this serial link, which can then be acted on by the HA controller, and likewise the controller can send commands to the alarm.

Something I have been toying with is to use my Homevision unit with an INF-RX8 unit which connects to the 8 inputs of the HV unit. The RX8 then uses the Infinte range of wireless sensors. Then program the HV unit to react to the sensor triggers. Its still on the back burner for now.
      HV info here www.csi3.com
      infinte info here http://www.espuk.com/pdfs/RX8.pdf

Visonic also do a similar unit to the RX8

As Otto has said don't rule out wireless. Wireless security systems are a lot more reliable than they used to be. And tend to be trouble free, the only problem is having to change the batteries. But many of the newer sensors from will last 2 to 3 years. I have known some sensors to last 4 years before they needed their batteries changing.
      Last edited by toscal; 27 July 2009, 10:37 PM.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Creagan
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jul 2009

Thank you for the input - much appreciated.

Otto-Mate: I can not seem to find ao online retailer where I can buy the Comford system from. Also, it seems that there are no PIR for this system, but I could be wrong. The system looks like what I need!

Toscal: The ESP Prime range looks even better - no prices on the website, but waiting for an email responce.

It seems like home automation (HA) runs mostly on x10 - is this correct? I dont want to go down the x10 route and find my hands tied in a few years time.

I still have a few PIR detectors on the walls (hard wired) and possibly I could reuse these (burglars only busted the control panel and external siren). I still feel wireless can be *scramble* or 'disbled' by a wireless 'nuke' device, or am I being paranoid?

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

Being paranoid. Most wireless systems now know if they are being jammed and will set the alarm off automatically.
          There are other home automation systems such as Cbus, Idratek, KNX/EIB, PLCBUS, ZWave. And a few others.
          X10 is cheap but can be problematic to install. But a well designed system can be made to be as reliable as any other. We have installed many X10 systems and they are very reliable, but then they where profesionally installed. One system has over 80 X10 modules.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• nickgale
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jun 2005

Comfort can be bought from www.smartalarmshop.co.uk, they don't do PIR's as you can use any wired PIR's, just about any bell boxes, etc. It does do both security and home automation very well and can interface with X10, CBus, Dynalite, KNX, etc. for lighting control. It also handles door entry very well.

It is not the easiest to program but it is very powerful if you know how to get the most out of it. It can also be added to over the years.

We have installed a number of systems.

Hope this helps

Nick

Comment

• Otto-Mate
              Founder
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Creagan View Post
              Otto-Mate: I can not seem to find ao online retailer where I can buy the Comford system from.
              Look here...

M.
              Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
              www.twitter.com/ottomate
              www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Creagan
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jul 2009

Toscal - Maybe I am just a little paranoid, but having burglars in my house while we were asleep is very frightening.

OK, so I have been reading allot, and it seems like I might go for the ESP Infinite Prime system from here. I would love to go down the Comfort route, but the price is a dead stopper, *sigh*... the panel alone is over £300!

I am thinking of adding the HA module to the ESP Infinite Prime system that will control x10, but I am not 100% sure. Elsewhere on the forums I have read that there are limitations to x10 and allot of people seem to switch the CBUS after a while. I am not planning to do major complicated stuff in the immediate future, but you never know.

Question: Has anyone worked with/installed the ESP Infinite Prime system, and if so, what issues have you encountered? Also, I cannot seem to find any info on programming the system, even though it has a serial/USB computer interface.

Comment

• toscal
                  • Oct 2005

I can understand and I know its not a nice feeling.
                  Programming by PC. I know if you buy the serial card interface it comes with a CD with some software on it. You may have to buy this as well. Don't know enough about the Prime at the moment. Ask Hunters or ESP.
                  Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• GavinWallace
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jul 2009

Hi Mate,

I also had exactly the same experience as you - not a nice feeling when you hear something, come down to your kitchen and see someone coming up through your kitchen window that you left slightly open. Especially as you suspect it would never happen to you as you both lye sleeping upstairs.

In fact, it's one of the worst feelings.

I did the same and bought the Visonic powermax+ Installed it myself within 3 hours from scratch. Works extremely well and I know it has the facitlity to expand upon. I want to try and work something with outdoor security lights that can alert us so we can turn on additional lighting. We have a dog and the pet proof PIR's work extremely well also with no false alarms.

I'm waiting for someone to respond to my post so as to give me some ideas.

Just my two pence worth!

Gavin

Comment

• Creagan
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jul 2009

Thanks for all the replies - I have ordered the ESP Infinite Prime system and it should be here on Thursday. Fingers crossed.

Any issues, I will be back here!

Thanks for everyone helping!

Thanks,

Creagan

Comment

• rockhoppers1964
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2008

Home Automation / Security

Guys, i had the same problems, I wanted a system that did so much to a certain standard that it did not exist. my solution was to write the software myself....

Have the first bit, (The security) up and running at home now, and appears very stable. Has support for motion sensors, smoke detectors, C02 sensors & panic buttons (all of which are now working), and also flood and frost sensors.

The home automation part is taking shape also, but a bit to go before it is bug free.

Also working on it having an answer machine, CCTV camera, dusk sensor and anything else that come to mind. I have some pictures if anyone is interested in looking, and passing comment.....!

Andrew

Comment

• GavinWallace
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jul 2009

This sounds very interesting! Just what I'm after. Will PM U my address

Comment

• Pete
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Sep 2009

User experience

Hi,

I am using X10 home control and the Proguard system.
                            In combination with the CM15pro, it is handling my needs:
                            - professional alarm system, inclusing battery monitoring, anti-jamming etc.
                            - good range of the wireless sensors
                            - good support for x10 commands. In combination with the CM15pro and the Activehomepro software, I have setup several scenes for lived-in look.

For me, the X10 protocol is reliable enough and much cheaper and easier to install then other protocols.

But it's depening what you wanna do. If you need state of the art, 100% reliable home automation, I would go for another system.

But to operate your lights with remote control and at the same time, use it for lived-in look, it is a great system.

Comment

• Creagan
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jul 2009

Feedback...

Just to let everyone know that my alarm system is working as expected - very reliable, and HA works a treat. Only thing that I would say, is that there is no web interface for the alarm system, or any way to access it via the net to set/unset HA devices - I went the CM15Pro route with .Net programming and a ASP web interface to the web. Alarm side of things I went through the GSM module route which I can txt my home and set/unset the alarm as needed (And HA devices)

Comment

Working...
                              X