Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Running conduit under concrete floors

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    >
    yep - evidence seems to be that many (not all) wish later they'd put more in, cable's not all that expensive, and adding more later can be a pain ... OTOH, if you're well on to speed on these things & have done this sort of thing before, it may not be necessary !
    you're right, I'll probably find lots of things missing! What's the best way of "storing" the loose cable - do you install a back box and blanking plate, or hide it in a back box behind plaster etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    >
    BTW, some of the Cat-5e might have to be screened - eg: if want to use Idratek intercom options ...
    yes, I did want to use the intercom feature. I was going to use the pink c-bus cable and try to sperate the data/power lines as much as possible - hence things like using the two down pipes. Do you think that will be sufficient, or would I be better using screened cable throughout for Idratek?

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

the pink C-Bus cable is not screened ...

we've not run our cable yet, it's getting near to the top of the list, but our install will be not quite the norm (new-build so we're allowing space where needed), meaning storing spare cable ends should not be an issue, for us, anyway ... we do intend to run a couple of screened Cat-5e cables to each location, to allow for the possibility of having two Idranets, but the bulk of the Cat-5e will be unscreened ...
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 30th July 2009 at 02:23 PM.

I have 6 RJ45 sockets in the lounge and 5 are already in use. When planning I was going to put just 4 in. But the way I have done it means I can add more at a later date. Each socket pair is in a conduit designed for at least 4 cables. and since they only have 2 getting another one in is not a problem. Plus there is also an empty conduit as well behind the wall.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party with this thread

I've used (almost exclusively) 25mmx16mm mini-trunking from TLC (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html)

All of mine was retrofitted into wet-plastered walls, so a lot of chasing out & replastering. In each case though, I wouldn't consider pulling any new cables through around bends - it's just too tight. I have access at the top of all my vertical runs so pulling new cables through for me won't (shouldn't!) be a problem.

I think I put in a lot of cable: 3x Cat5, 3x coax & 2x speaker to 5 locations in the lounge, plus a more recent addition of 4x cat5, 1x coax, 1x VGA & 2x HDMI to behind our wall mounted TV. In other rooms it was 2/3 cat5 plus coax to a number of places within each room. Remember that HDMI over cat5 needs two separate cables, and things like satellite boxes need telehpone line connections, games consoles can have network ports etc. so "spares" can become used up quite quickly.

Many of my unused cables are coiled behind a mixture of blanking plates and back boxes that have been plastered over. Lots of photos help to mark out where everything is/was

3" drainpipe is pretty large and as long as you're pulling in a straight line you should be fine. Any bends though will really hinder the process. The type of cable sheath can also affect how easy a cable is to pull.

None of my cables run in a concrete floor, they're all aboev the ceiling; either in between the ground floor ceiling and above floor, or in the attic space. If you want to pull cables later, I would decide the locations now and run separate conduits or trunking, as straight as possible directly to each location - I wouldn't try to split off from a central duct buried under concrete.

Is there any way you can get up above the rooms you're talking about and then run down the walls? any downstairs cupboards (or stud walls) you could hide a vertical duct in?

Another consideration - pulling bulk cat5 & coax is fine as there are no connectors. If you want to pull through HDMI later it would be easier (for termination) if you use pre-made cables with the connectors already attached. These also take up more room in the ducts and snag more easily on beds, other cables etc.

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>pre-made cables with the connectors already attached ... snag more easily on beds, other cables etc ...

if it's not too expensive, wonder if shrink insulation (what's it called, the yellow stuff) could be used to reduce snagging of connectors - cutting it off after threading ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry, been away for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    I think I put in a lot of cable: 3x Cat5, 3x coax & 2x speaker to 5 locations in the lounge, plus a more recent addition of 4x cat5, 1x coax, 1x VGA & 2x HDMI to behind our wall mounted TV. In other rooms it was 2/3 cat5 plus coax to a number of places within each room. Remember that HDMI over cat5 needs two separate cables, and things like satellite boxes need telehpone line connections, games consoles can have network ports etc. so "spares" can become used up quite quickly.
    Tim.
    Gosh, that is quite a bit. ? I've presently allowed for the following - do you think this sounds enough?

. . .behind the wall mounted TV:
    • 1 x coax
    • 1 x power
    • 1 x SRH to power tv down
    • 1 x single wall plate with 2 x 25 mm round conduit

The conduit goes to a 'media' cupboard at the side of the TV where I'm adding:
    • 8 x power
    • 4 x cat 5
    • 4 x coax

Plus, 2 other points around the room that contain 2 x cat5 each for data/phone

None of my cables run in a concrete floor, they're all above the ceiling; either in between the ground floor ceiling and above floor, or in the attic space. If you want to pull cables later, I would decide the locations now and run separate conduits or trunking, as straight as possible directly to each location - I wouldn't try to split off from a central duct buried under concrete.

Is there any way you can get up above the rooms you're talking about and then run down the walls? any downstairs cupboards (or stud walls) you could hide a vertical duct in?
    Unfortunately not; we're adding underfloor heating upstairs too, so that will also have a screed applied!

I would add an extra power socket behind the TV.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    I would add an extra power socket behind the TV.
    ok, thanks for that - is that just for a spare, or any particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by drod View Post
    Gosh, that is quite a bit. ? I've presently allowed for the following - do you think this sounds enough?
    I think it depends on where you will locate your other equipment (satellite box, games console, DVD/BluRay player, etc.)

All my kit is stored in my media cupboard so only the TV is in the lounge and satellite, DVD etc. is all elsewhere. For that reason I needed to provide the cabling that I would've otherwise connected via short leads.

Do you want to distribute TV (or sound from the TV - music channels, radio etc.) around the house, e.g. a bedroom? Sky boxes can feed a 2nd TV via the RF2 output on the back. It's only RF so not the greatest quality, but is probably ok for a bedroom, kitchen etc.

I guess it also depends on how far your media cupboard is away from the TV and whether you (or your wife ) will tolerate cables run around the floor...

HTH,

Tim.

Automated Home Jr Member

Do you want to distribute TV (or sound from the TV - music channels, radio etc.) around the house, e.g. a bedroom? Sky boxes can feed a 2nd TV via the RF2 output on the back. It's only RF so not the greatest quality, but is probably ok for a bedroom, kitchen etc.

I guess it also depends on how far your media cupboard is away from the TV and whether you (or your wife ) will tolerate cables run around the floor...
    Thanks Tim. Easy one first, the media cupboard is at the side (and underneath) the tv wall. I'm mounting the tv on a "floating panel" type of affair and so can run cables from the sources along the cupboard and out to the screen.

Re distribution. I (think!) I've decided to use an HTPC, connect that to an AV receiver in the "media room", along with sky, dvd and build some clients for the other rooms - possibly running something like "media portal". This seems to be a cheaper option than Sonos and give me more functionality per room.