• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drod
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2008

Sorry, been away for a while!
    Originally posted by TimH View Post
    I think I put in a lot of cable: 3x Cat5, 3x coax & 2x speaker to 5 locations in the lounge, plus a more recent addition of 4x cat5, 1x coax, 1x VGA & 2x HDMI to behind our wall mounted TV. In other rooms it was 2/3 cat5 plus coax to a number of places within each room. Remember that HDMI over cat5 needs two separate cables, and things like satellite boxes need telehpone line connections, games consoles can have network ports etc. so "spares" can become used up quite quickly.
    Tim.
    Gosh, that is quite a bit. ? I've presently allowed for the following - do you think this sounds enough?

. . .behind the wall mounted TV:
    • 1 x coax
    • 1 x power
    • 1 x SRH to power tv down
    • 1 x single wall plate with 2 x 25 mm round conduit

The conduit goes to a 'media' cupboard at the side of the TV where I'm adding:
    • 8 x power
    • 4 x cat 5
    • 4 x coax

Plus, 2 other points around the room that contain 2 x cat5 each for data/phone

None of my cables run in a concrete floor, they're all above the ceiling; either in between the ground floor ceiling and above floor, or in the attic space. If you want to pull cables later, I would decide the locations now and run separate conduits or trunking, as straight as possible directly to each location - I wouldn't try to split off from a central duct buried under concrete.

Is there any way you can get up above the rooms you're talking about and then run down the walls? any downstairs cupboards (or stud walls) you could hide a vertical duct in?
    Unfortunately not; we're adding underfloor heating upstairs too, so that will also have a screed applied!

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

I would add an extra power socket behind the TV.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• drod
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        I would add an extra power socket behind the TV.
        ok, thanks for that - is that just for a spare, or any particular reason?

Comment

• TimH
          Automated Home Legend
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by drod View Post
          Gosh, that is quite a bit. ? I've presently allowed for the following - do you think this sounds enough?
          I think it depends on where you will locate your other equipment (satellite box, games console, DVD/BluRay player, etc.)

All my kit is stored in my media cupboard so only the TV is in the lounge and satellite, DVD etc. is all elsewhere. For that reason I needed to provide the cabling that I would've otherwise connected via short leads.

Do you want to distribute TV (or sound from the TV - music channels, radio etc.) around the house, e.g. a bedroom? Sky boxes can feed a 2nd TV via the RF2 output on the back. It's only RF so not the greatest quality, but is probably ok for a bedroom, kitchen etc.

I guess it also depends on how far your media cupboard is away from the TV and whether you (or your wife ) will tolerate cables run around the floor...

HTH,

Tim.
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

• drod
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2008

Do you want to distribute TV (or sound from the TV - music channels, radio etc.) around the house, e.g. a bedroom? Sky boxes can feed a 2nd TV via the RF2 output on the back. It's only RF so not the greatest quality, but is probably ok for a bedroom, kitchen etc.

I guess it also depends on how far your media cupboard is away from the TV and whether you (or your wife ) will tolerate cables run around the floor...
            Thanks Tim. Easy one first, the media cupboard is at the side (and underneath) the tv wall. I'm mounting the tv on a "floating panel" type of affair and so can run cables from the sources along the cupboard and out to the screen.

Re distribution. I (think!) I've decided to use an HTPC, connect that to an AV receiver in the "media room", along with sky, dvd and build some clients for the other rooms - possibly running something like "media portal". This seems to be a cheaper option than Sonos and give me more functionality per room.

Comment

• MrFluffy
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Aug 2005

You know, this is where metal railing with lots of insulation for the walls is a godsend
              I laid in my ufh floor recently, and put *no* cabling underneath it except for two large conduits which go off to the outbuildings carrying data and power services. These were all precabled long before the concrete was poured as I can never get conduit to pass cabling afterwards without considerable pain.
              Ive already changed my mind about the data layout about five times since the floor went down, and being able to change it because its in the walls without risking damaging the slab is a definite advantage.

There is only one place I regret not putting cable in the slab, and that is for the coffee table in the projector room. Because Ive just bought a ex pub glass topped "****tail" cabinet galaxian arcade game and have to run a cable bumper carrying power out to it...

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Similar thing happened to a client of mine, but I took some photos of the under floor heating pipes as they where going in for future reference for us. And from this he was able to locate a decent sized gap to place a floor mounted socket for their reading lamps.
                So take decent photos of the tubing layout.

Seems the auto censor is a tad aggressive would have thought that ****tail was ok.
                Last edited by toscal; 11 September 2009, 05:39 PM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MrFluffy
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Aug 2005

we did exactly that, but as I was running round like a headless chicken the morning of the big concrete delivery getting the last bits finished, I appointed someone else camera person and informed them to take loads of pictures from lots of angles of the whole downstairs.
                  Five pictures was the result, two of which had people in the shots waving to the camera and obscuring the floor. I was thinking more like 40 or 50...

Option b is to rig up a infra red camera, and bring the floor up to temp, apparently you can see the loops in the floor fairly easily that way and be certain your not going to cut into them...

Could always have a c0cktail cabinet arcade game

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

Oh well. Best laid plans and all that. Are you going to hack your c*cktail cabinet to run MAME as well. Or leave it all original like.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MrFluffy
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by toscal View Post
                      Oh well. Best laid plans and all that. Are you going to hack your c*cktail cabinet to run MAME as well. Or leave it all original like.
                      going a bit O/T for the idratek stuff but one of them is staying with jamma innards and currently working with a selection of four different pcbs but maybe a xxx-in-one jamma board is in its near future, a second is japanese but pre jamma and missing half its pcb's so beyond economic restoration so jurys out on that one, and a empty standup jeutel arcade cabinet was also donated by the seller which IS being mame'd/mythtv'd into a media jukebox and web browser/intranet interfaced for sure...
                      I like to tinker with me toys...

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

I am now deeply jealous.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                        X