• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Millne
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Nov 2007

Presence detection through panel mic?

Is there any technical reason why the microphone present in the DFP's can't be used for a presence detection input?
    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...
  • KirasHome
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2006

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the panels don't do any processing of the audio from the mics, I think they just pass it back along the audio lines in the Cat5 cable to the PC that's running Cortex. So you could only have one mic live at a time otherwise you wouldn't know where the signal was coming from, and you wouldn't be able to have any audio announcements from Cortex as they use the two same lines in the Cat5.

Jamie

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

good question, ISTM ... and ditto the light sensor, which might be used to sense when somebody passes-by ...
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Andrew,
        Under what circumstances do you have in mind as opposed to say the PIR?
        Chris,
        I'm not sure if light level change would be a very reliable signal. Even though the default filter time constants are probably a bit on the fast side you'd probably have to pass fairly slowly infront of the sensor and be wearing something dark if not occluding a light source (assuming we're looking for a dip). A quick visual look at data from some of my light sensors suggests it might be difficult to pick out a signal that clearly indicates a passing person as opposed to some other variation (eg. windy day with fluffy clouds - difficult to avoid camera motion detection going too .. ). But who knows .. maybe with some judicious filter settings and some more detailed processing of the data maybe a 'voting' quality signature could be picked out. A research project for someone ...

Comment

• Gumby
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Millne View Post
          Is there any technical reason why the microphone present in the DFP's can't be used for a presence detection input?
          Snoring detection perhaps? There might no be much movement in that case
          ----------------------
          www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

many a something or other said in jest ...

might not be such a bad idea - perhaps linked to a prompter, of some kind, to encourage roll-over - shock / vibration / or ... !
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Well we have often wondered whether the data from the motion sensors could be correlated in some crude way to sleep quality - its just that its data which is available as a free byproduct.

Comment

• Gumby
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Karam View Post
                Well we have often wondered whether the data from the motion sensors could be correlated in some crude way to sleep quality - its just that its data which is available as a free byproduct.
                You mean like this?

Actually, my mostly tongue-in-cheek comment on snoring was stimulated by something I think is in the help file somewhere about people falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon and that affecting choices on presence timeouts.
                ----------------------
                www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Gumby View Post
                  You mean like this?

Actually, my mostly tongue-in-cheek comment on snoring was stimulated by something I think is in the help file somewhere about people falling asleep in the middle of the afternoon and that affecting choices on presence timeouts.
                  Data usage - Exactly

Snoring - I'm not sure my wife will be convinced of that defence

Comment

• Andrew Millne
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Nov 2007

Sorry to bump an old topic but I must not have subscribed to it and didn't think it had been replied to.

Basically a while back I was chatting to a friend in my hallway and we were both leaning against the walls so little movement. I only had a short timeout at the time and thought it would have been good if the mic could have been used in that instance as a further sensory input.
                    Visit my blog and Follow me on Twitter...

Comment

• toscal
                      • Oct 2005

The biggest problem I can see is that if the TV, radio or music is on in another room the mic may pick this up.
                      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
                      X